Forum: General / Homework Help

Homework Help
Common Core Math-fs It Really That Helpful?
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4729, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Wed Oct 28, 2015 02:57 PM

Common core math, I think, isn't really all that helpful. I think it makes math more confusing and difficult than it needs to be. There was a case where a young student solved a problem correctly. I think the problem was what is 110-35? The student came up with the correct answer 75. The teacher marked it wrong, saying the estimate is 100-30=70. The teacher said she wanted to get the students to estimate the answers for when the students don't have calculators in their hands. If you're building a house, you can't just estimate the measurements and dimensions. Those measurements and dimensions need to be exact. There was a man who worked with his son to try to solve a math problem. The father solved the problem the traditional way, while the son used the common core way. The father had the problem solved more quickly than the son did. I can't believe educators think comon core makes math easier for students, although many educators want to get rid of the ocmmon core.

8 Replies to Common Core Math-fs It Really That Helpful?

re: Common Core Math-fs It Really That Helpful?
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Wed Oct 28, 2015 03:30 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2015-10-28 15:32:10
www.patheos.com . . .

tl;dr it's just another way of teaching the concept--and one that doesn't rely on rote memorization that helps students actually conceptualize the math--and people are freaking out because it's new (to them).
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:51 PM
I think it just overly complicates things. My sons teacher sends home samples of math problems every time they start a new unit, so the parents can see what they're doing, and how they're learning to do it, right? If, let's say, he already knows that 10x10 is 100, then why does he have to jump through the hoops of going 5x5 is 25, and there's two 5's in 10, so 5x5x5x5 is 100, or whatever the heck?

But, she also seems to not be challenging the kids too hard on HOW they're showing work, as long as they're showing work, so I guess if he's getting what they want him to be getting, then I'll call it a day.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Mon Nov 02, 2015 04:40 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2015-11-02 04:49:50
Very Interesting. I've heard only bad things about this common core stuff. I am no spring chicken, and went to school long ago, but I am not at all supprised at the dumbing down society is now accepting for educational success, so that schools can get a passing rating (and continued Federal funding mind you) in the new era of "No Child Left Behind" The way our schools are teaching teach math to kids today would cripple me. I've heard ancidotes about parents who are degreed PhD's and engineers who have a lot of difficulty in helping their kids with there "new" math homework.

A lot of people back in New York where I am originally from and here in Texas were actively pushing to block the new Core Curriculums from being taught in the public schools, but they lost out. Hence, why the private schools flourish (for those who can afford them) flourish down here in Texas.

However some of what the OP stated does not surprise me. It is pretty acknowledged today that we live in a permissive rsociety where "everyone is a winner", and the psychologist "experts"/authors and talking heads all love to say that when we tell a kid they got it wrong -- all we are then doing is irrevocably damaging their their precious little psyche's and scaring them emotionally foreva. So nothing wrong I guess in teaching a kid to only have to approximate a answer and to reward them for making gustimates to mathematical problems only. W are living in a society today where "good enough" is taken for granted.

As many here may know, I am a recently retired Forces officer, who has two advanced engineering degrees. I spent my entire professional commissioned military career as a specialized construction engineer and construction project manager working on military construction projects all over the world. In the analogy the OP made about estimating, I can only say this---she makes a great point, but sadly, she is incorrect as the private civilian and government sector doing construction work only use rough gusstimates and estimation to budget our multimillion dollar construction projects.

IT's all done on estimations, crazy as that may sound. The exact measuring and calculating comes much, much later on down the line as the construction project is developed. And hence, why we (the taxpayer) end up paying so much for design changes / change orders, that in the end lead to very expensive cost escalations. Sadly we do a lousy job of doing our homework ahead of time---but that is the biz. It's all done on the 80% solution.

It's no wonder our media & the press keep wondering why the Japanese and Europeans are just continuing to kill us here in the US when it comes to STEM education for our children.
On Tue Nov 03, 2015 06:34 PM
If you want to correctly approximate the answer to the problem 110-35, the answer would be 60. 110 would be rounded down to 100, 35 would be rounded up to 40. So, we would have 100-40=60.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Nov 07, 2015 07:38 AM
I am seeing more stories this week on how screwed up this Common Core curriculum is. (the 5x3 one and, the "Bobby" word problem drawing one are in the headlines right now.)

In one of the stories the New York Times is reporting that while, for now, anyway Common Core remains "the law of the land", that a number of the Common Core's original supporters are now (very quietly-btw) backing away from it.

Thank God I don't have kids who would have to learn to use it.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sat Nov 07, 2015 09:11 AM
I'm hoping by the time I have kids who are school age (and I" not even dating anyone right now) that this will be long history. But new techniques in math always come about. In about 6th or 7th grade my math teacher told me mom to stop helping me because it was the "old way", that was in about 2000. So she hired a math tutor to help me once week. By the time I was in 12th grade doing more calculus based math, even the tutor said she couldn't help me anymore because she was an algebra/geometry teacher. By then I just didn't care anymore and now I work as a writer! :)
On Sat Nov 07, 2015 09:33 AM
I just saw an article of how the Virginia Board of Education has sent out a memo to parents not to worry about the common core test scores to determine the student's readiness for college and a career. The VBE told parents that the test score results don't really show a student's readiness for college. (I wonder, then, what they think does determine the student's readiness for college and a career.) Here we have one more way that society is being dumbed down.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:31 AM
How math is taught changes anyway. When I was tutoring high school students they way they were taught to do something was not the way I learned. And that was only four years after I graduated high school. Also, when my mom tried to help me with math homework she'd point out that what I was doing wasn't how she was taught.

ReplySendWatch