Forum: Advice / Ask a Judge

Ask a Judge
What to do with ballet after teen years??
By autumndancer11 Comments: 37, member since Tue Jun 10, 2014
On Fri Oct 30, 2015 01:28 AM

Hi, I just started Ballet, but I've always(my whole life basically)have wanted to be a ballet dancer, but i'm 14. What will I do with it??? I just heard the girls at my studio talking about how they only have afew more years of ballet training! I didnt even think about this!
1. What can I do with ballet when I'm an adult?
2. Do I have to stop classes after i'm 18+?
3. Also, is going en pointe even an option in the future?
(my teacher has mentioned training me for pointe once)
Thanks in advance! And sorry for the essay I just wrote :/

1 Replies to What to do with ballet after teen years??

re: What to do with ballet after teen years??
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Fri Oct 30, 2015 05:12 PM
No you don't have to stop, but it will be different when you are aren't in high school. Some schools don't allow adult dancers in their classes, some do. There is a thread about that in the adults section. For competitions, your age could skew the average of the group and that may not allow you to compete with your old group. However there area lot of opportunities to dance in college. You can take academic classes (though beware this is a very expensive use of your college class time, you could be paying $4,000 for 3 hours a week for 3 months). Colleges also have dance teams clubs and companies. Dance teams usually perform at basketball games and football games and also compete. The style is usually jazz, hop hop etc. Dance clubs are often more recreational where anyone can take classes. I took a ballet class this way and the teacher let those who were trained dancers to take the class en pointe which I did. The Dance Club had a recital at the end of the semester. Dance Companies are often more ballet, modern and contrempory work (but it varies) where there are auditions and a performance at the end of the semester. There are a lot of opportunities to keep dancing. I'm 27 and there are girls I danced with in high school who still dance at my studio. I went away for college and moved away from home after graduating so while I haven't danced since college, I have done yoga, pilates and other things. Barre has also become very popular and I do have a friend taking an adult ballet class (and she was a semi pro cheerleader so not a beginning class for moms necessarily). You're only 14. You are a freshman. Don't worry about what you will do with dance when you are no longer a teenager, you have time!

ReplySendWatch