Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
How to lose five pounds in a month?
By Ballefreak1999 Comments: 1, member since Sat Nov 14, 2015
On Sat Nov 14, 2015 03:13 PM
Edited by Ballefreak1999 (275792) on 2015-11-14 15:13:54

After class, my ballet teachers said they needed to speak with me. They said that my legs were too big and that I need to lose 5 lbs.

How do I lose 5 lbs in a month?

7 Replies to How to lose five pounds in a month?

re: How to lose five pounds in a month?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sat Nov 14, 2015 04:25 PM
You cannot dictate where you lose weight. Any teacher worth their while will know that. Instead of attempting to lose 5 pounds in a month, it is time to get a new teacher. Your teacher is irresponsible and does not have the proper knowledge of human anatomy to be teaching dance.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Nov 14, 2015 05:44 PM
Yeah, I'm with Moonlitefairy on this.

Five pounds in one month is totally do able. Just diet and exercise. But I don't know how old you are and your teachers shouldn't really be telling you that.
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Sun Nov 15, 2015 04:15 PM
That's very ridiculous and inappropriate of your instructors. IMO your doctor is the only one who can tell you if you need to lose weight.

And, like the others said, you can't choose where you lose weight from. Honestly, I doubt 5lbs would change the way your legs look. It's very possible that your legs are larger because they are more muscular - I have a slight frame but larger thighs because I have quite developed muscles in that area.

I would get new instructors if I were you. This just doesn't sound right.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:19 AM
That's ridiculous. A teacher should not be making up a random number and telling a dancer to lose x amount of weight. If you are a kid please report this to your mother or a trusted adult. What a great way to promote eating disorders in your students! Pfffffft! Don't buy in to their BS. Keep doing what you are doing and try to ignore their "advice". I'm sorry this happened to you.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:05 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2015-11-16 11:14:05
Is it possible that you aren't using your turnout properly, so you are "gripping" with your quads? I tend to naturally build muscle easily on my quads, so I have to make sure I am not overusing them when doing extensions etc.
Once I worked on properly turning out and using the proper parts of my leg to turn out, my quads leaned out and it wasn't so bulky.
For me, I had to focus on engaging my hamstrings more and keeping the leg lower. And using my core more.

How old are you? If you are still a teenager, we really shouldn't give you weight loss advice. You are still growing and you don't want to stunt that growth by dieting.

One "safe" thing, even for teens is to stop eating excess sugar in the form of sweets. Extra sugar isn't the best for children anyways, and it is safe for teens to even be limiting the amounts. Try to replace any sweet treats with some berries or an apple, after your dinner.
By mikochan Comments: 11, member since Fri Dec 11, 2015
On Mon Jan 11, 2016 08:02 AM
It is not very healthy things to do.it could be so stressful to do so.but you can cut all junk food, and start to eat really healthy food.it will change at least 2pounds.
By AmberDawnH Comments: 10, member since Fri Jan 01, 2016
On Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:19 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2016-01-28 12:48:46 listing height/weight posts are not allowed
I feel that you should have given more information like height, weight, activity level, dance background, age, and nutrition. I am 5'6, xxx pounds, dance or cross train 15-25 hours a week, am a professional dancer trained in a variety of styles, 26 years old, and eat a wide variety diet. Do you feel it is appropriate for you to lose weight and is it plausible on your frame? If you have a poor diet of junk food and pre packaged meals I would suggest aiming for 3-5 fruit or veggie servings a day and learning some simple and quick recipes for yourself to make. Drinking a least a gallon a water a day and finding something to cross train in may help you lose a couple pounds or at least tighten up some trouble areas. I use fitnessblender.com since they have 100's of free full length exercise videos ranging from kickboxing, yoga, pilates, and high intensity interval training.

ReplySendWatch