Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

So I invented some new pointe shoe covers...
By pureblacklily
On Wed Nov 25, 2015 03:07 AM

Hi there dancers,

My name's Kat and I'd been on DDN for like 6 years on an account I've since lost the login info to (called Jodaii). About two or three years ago, I came up with a design for pointe shoe covers made of black lace (some people on here might remember!).

I've been away for a while, but have been developing the covers and they're now in shops! If anyone is interested in what they have become now, I've got a website called pebbledance.com. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

These are different to the existing designs because they are made on spandex fabrics so really hug the curves of the shoes. They also don't have the (pointless!) suede shanks... instead the fabric on the box is impregnated with a rubber coating that ensures they remain grippy, whilst still looking pretty! Plus, they're very colourful, and can by dyed! I'm really proud of these, and wished to share.

I'm always looking for models (based in NW, UK) for my photoshoots, if anyone is interested let me know!

6 Replies to So I invented some new pointe shoe covers...

re: So I invented some new pointe shoe covers...
By Gracie220
On Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:01 AM
They're beautiful! I want one of each! Hopefully they'll be more available to the US soon. It looks like AVA Dancewear ships to the US but it gets kind of pricey. They look so much better than others I've seen. Great job on these!
By pureblacklily
On Wed Nov 25, 2015 01:30 PM
Thank you! I know that That's Entertainment ship to the US too, if you give them a call it might be a bit cheaper. I'm currently looking for some US shops to sell them, but it's a bit difficult from this side of the pond! If anyone could recommend some to contact, that would be a great help!
By Storm_Trouper
On Thu Nov 26, 2015 09:37 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-11-26 21:38:07
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-11-26 21:39:57
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-11-26 21:40:14
With the layer of fabric stretched over the toe box, is there ever any incidence or occurence of slipping or loss of friction I wonder. Is there product liability? How many hours does the spandex last before a hole is worn through I wonder. Does anyone have answers or experience using the product til it wears out I wonder.
By pureblacklily
On Fri Nov 27, 2015 02:56 AM
Thanks for your questions: as I said above, the fabric on the box is impregnated with a rubber coating that helps avoid slipping. We've never had any incidents reported, and yes, have product liability cover.

As long as the cover fits the shoe correctly (isn't baggy or loose) then they're perfectly safe.

Regarding how long they last, we've only ever had one returned with a hole on the box, and that looks like it was snagged on something as the fabric is all pulled around the hole- but we replaced anyway.
By maddiedancer7
On Mon Dec 21, 2015 07:30 AM
they look beautiful and well crafted. How slippery are they though? I might buy some for a performance...
By pureblacklily
On Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:31 PM
It depends on the flooring. They're not slippery themselves, but on a very slippy floor, obviously they would be. I've been wearing and testing them for years and have never slipped, but obviously I advise caution when testing them on new surfaces.

ReplySendWatch