Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Ballet - Adult Dancers
At competitions I'm Category G.... (G for Geriatric?)... sometimes it sucks dancing as an adult.
By pureblacklily Comments: 29, member since Fri Dec 13, 2013
On Wed Nov 25, 2015 07:45 AM

I've just written a heart-felt article on how frustrating it can be, being an adult dancer and trying to compete. Thought some dancers on here might like to read.

pebbledance.com . . .

11 Replies to At competitions I'm Category G.... (G for Geriatric?)... sometimes it sucks dancing as an adult.

re: At competitions I'm Category G.... (G for Geriatric?)... sometimes it sucks dancing as an adult.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:54 AM
Great blog! I'm truly in the geriatric range, been dancing for 40 years but never competed.

A few years ago I got it into my head to try to compete. I was discouraged from it by a teacher and, sadly, took her advice. Back then, I probably would have at least enjoyed it, even if not to win (just enjoyed performing) but she convinced me that I would just look foolish.

Hats off to you for competing and enjoying it. Who cares what the outcome is - just enjoy it while you can!
re: At competitions I'm Category G.... (G for Geriatric?)... sometimes it sucks dancing as an adult.
On Wed Nov 25, 2015 01:33 PM
I think it's really discouraging that older dancers aren't encouraged to compete! We love feedback and performing as much as the next person.

I'm pretty tempted to organise an adult-centred festival/competition myself. Wonder if many people would enter?
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:11 AM
For a couple of years my city had an adult competition. Sadly a lack of funding, audience and entries, I am guessing, saw it end.
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 05:10 AM
It's sad isn't it. I sent an email round to lots of adult classes in my area, at least 20, to see if they'd be interested in a solo competition - and got absolutely no reply. I guess the teachers just think their adult students wouldn't want to. I'm interested what others think about this?
By Guyenne Comments: 636, member since Fri Sep 10, 2004
On Sun Jan 10, 2016 07:57 AM
The issue I see right off with an adult class teacher and a competition involves choreography. Traditionally, solos are taught in a separate class once you are an advanced student, at least at the ballet focused schools, which also generally have separate time for rehearsals. At a multi-genre recital studio it takes up a chunk of class time starting somewhere mid-year. Competition groups do some combination of both, which tends to depend on the studio configuration around them.
Adult classes tend to be drop in or otherwise inconsistent in attendance from week to week, and rarely built in the preparation/expection the entire class will perform in that studio year.
A class/competition approach might work better - find someone to teach several levels of solo pieces that the participants then perform and receive feedback/scores on.
re: At competitions I'm Category G.... (G for Geriatric?)... sometimes it sucks dancing as an adult. (karma: 1)
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:07 PM
I run a dance festival where I live and we have a whole section just for adults. I always make sure it's our last set of dances on the Friday night and the house is always full for them and we know that the biggest cheers always go up for our adult dancers. We have over 50 adult dancers performing this year.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Jan 10, 2016 07:31 PM
I don't know what the think is in dance competitions, that once you turn 18, you're just automatically not interested anymore. I don't get it!

I grew up doing clogging competitions, and dancers of all ages got up there and competed, and had a great time. There's space for everyone! :)

I joined our studios adult hip-hop class this year. They competed last year, and did such a great job, that our tap class is even trying it out this year!
By Melpomene Comments: 1230, member since Sun Jan 30, 2011
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:24 AM
Thanks for the post. It's important to bring attention to it.

Especially considering all the jumped-conclusions about the whole thing - That adults might not be interested or scared, or even that they wouldn't be that good at dancing. But alas, I think we all beg to differ!

And it can be a bummer, to be barred from something unnecessarily.
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:30 AM
hummingbird wrote:

I run a dance festival where I live and we have a whole section just for adults. I always make sure it's our last set of dances on the Friday night and the house is always full for them and we know that the biggest cheers always go up for our adult dancers. We have over 50 adult dancers performing this year.

Could you possibly post the festival's website, facebook page; or PM me with contact details, HB? Thanks.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Feb 09, 2016 07:48 AM
I can't post info here, that would be advertising but I will pm you, we don't have a website, we do have a FB page though.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Tue Feb 09, 2016 07:45 PM
I'm curious, too. Could you please PM me the site. I doubt I can do anything, of course, but I would be interested in seeing what you do....

ReplySendWatch