Forum: Competitions

Competition Day Warmups
By SJTechniques
On Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:16 PM

At one of the competitions during last year's season, a small group of students in one of my numbers told me girls from another studio were making fun of them as we warmed up. Of course, they could have misinterpreted something, but I'm not so sure... Not all of the teachers/studios I encounter do an actual warm-up; I see most groups stretching on their own and then marking through numbers. But I always teach/preach to my students about properly warming up as a dancer so, until they get better at doing it for themselves, I lead them through one.

My question is this: Is anyone else talking their students through a quality warm-up in the hallways/rehearsal rooms? I've done this for years and can't believe another studio would make fun of us for doing that. What are some of you doing for a warm-up at competition and have you encountered anything similar?

3 Replies to Competition Day Warmups

re: Competition Day Warmups
By turtletoeshoe
On Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:15 PM
The last studio I worked at did not hold official warm-up on competition days. It drove me nuts. And like you, I would lead a warm-up required for my dancers(center ballet barre type moves, body swings, stretching), and would have kids leave/not participate/mock. I never understood.
By SJTechniques
On Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:23 PM
You would have students from your own studio walk away?! So sorry to hear that, at least my students stay and participate... they are just worried about what other dancers say.
By kr_WDance
On Thu Nov 26, 2015 06:49 AM
You are absolutely doing the right thing! The only reasoning I can think of that it would be annoying to others is that some studios take over giant areas like they own the place and even walking by to get to the dressing room is a hassle.

We did not lead our students in an official warmup at competition for a number of reasons- many arrive at different times for solos, small groups etc. or the teachers are constantly being pulled away helping kids, BUT we are definitely going to start. The students do not properly warm themselves at all, even my most advanced high school students. They just sit in straddle or do some lounges. I definitely think we will start doing a gentle ballet warmup with some core activation activities.

ReplySendWatch