Forum: General / Welcome

Welcome
Rhinestone Bra Top Question
By NicoleLovesTap Comments: 1, member since Wed Sep 30, 2015
On Thu Nov 26, 2015 07:24 PM

I want to make a solid rhinestone bra top for my daughter's tap solo (to wear with a hot pink plaid shrug with puff sleeves and black jeggings). I plan on using Swarovski Crystal AB rhinestones and a white underwire bra (child size medium (32)). Does anyone have any suggestions on what specific bra I should use (and where to purchase)? Note: I purchased a Hanes underwire bra that fits my daughter, however when she moves or bends there is a gap up top.

1 Replies to Rhinestone Bra Top Question

re: Rhinestone Bra Top Question
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Fri Nov 27, 2015 05:23 AM
Bras are fairly individual, so a specific bra that works for one person may not work for you/your daughter. Find one that is comfortable and make sure you get one that is padded/stiffened, or be prepared to spend a long time starching it to the right shape yourself. Anything unpadded will not hold the weight of the stones/beads you plan to use and may stretch out of shape while you're working on it. Avoid anything lacy at all costs unless you plan to cover it with solid fabric before beading - if it has lace on it, it will always look like blingy underwear.

If you are going to be sewing beads on to the bra, it is best to get a cup size bigger than usually worn, as they do tend to fit smaller once they are beaded. Sewn beads tend to be more durable and last longer than glue-one/hotfix ones, however if this is for a once-off performance, that may not be an issue for you.

Ensure that when you cover the straps and the sides/back of the bra, you stretch the fabric (or have your daughter wear it while you work) to get an even coverage. And please cover the wires, band and gore (the bit between the cups), too.

(source: I am a bellydancer and have made many costume bras for myself. I always change the straps and cover my bras with additional fabric prior to beading, to ensure a smooth surface for my beading and stop them looking like lingerie.)

Some links that might be useful: mellilah.com . . .
www.sparklybelly.com . . .

ReplySendWatch