Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Pointe - Beginners
What do teachers look for when thinking about pointe?
By alexisozlem Comments: 1, member since Tue Dec 01, 2015
On Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:48 PM

What do teachers look for when thinking about putting students on pointe?

Hello, I am a bit of a late starter, (more so I took a 4-year long break), and I am trying my hardest to get up on pointe. I am 16 years old; the reason why I ask this question is because I am curious as to what to keep in mind in class, in case I missed something or misunderstood something. As I took a break due to moving to a new country, some things get lost in translation and so sometimes I have to look online for answers to questions like this, and when I do get an answer, I usually have this response, "Oh! So thats what she said when she said, "yukariya cek"!" Sort of thing. Thank you very much!

1 Replies to What do teachers look for when thinking about pointe?

re: What do teachers look for when thinking about pointe?
By hummingbird Comments: 10418, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Dec 01, 2015 01:52 PM
These are the things I look for or take into consideration.

First the amount of classes per week a dancer takes in Ballet, it has to be an absolute minimum of three hours, any less and you won't have the muscle memory needed for pointe work. Lyrical, Jazz, Modern and Contemporary might make you a strong dancer but none of them is preparing you for pointe work which is why I say three hours of ballet technique not just three hours of dance.

Your application to what you're doing, do you take on board the corrections I'm giving you and apply them to your work, do you listen to general class corrections and apply them too.

Class attendance. We all know that life happens and that sometimes students miss class but if your attendance is poor, no matter what the reason you won't be ready for pointe as early no matter how hard you work because I can only teach you if you're there. (you'd be surprised how many people just don't understand that one)

Technique. The way you control and hold your turn out, especially on 3/4 pointe, the way you lift and pull up (glute, pelvic floor and ab control in a nut shell) and your ankle articulation. This is not an inclusive list, there are other things to consider but these are probably the most important and if these are right the rest is more than likely to also be correct.

If you're a late starter my other pre requisite of age shouldn't really apply to you. Personally I don't like dancers under the age of eleven going en pointe, there's no rush and I'd rather have a carefully trained dancer rather than a superstar kid who's wrecked their bones and joints by the time they're 20ish.

ReplySendWatch