Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

How long do pointe shoes last? & Is pointe painful?
By autumndancer11
On Wed Dec 02, 2015 07:04 PM

I really want to start pointe someday, and my teacher says my legs and feet are pretty strong! So, I know pointe shoes are like $70-$120, and I wouldn't want my parents paying THAT much if they don't last long (which is kinda discouraging me)
How long do your first pair last (with about 3 (1 1/2 hour) classes per week)?
And, I know pointe is painful, but is it as bad as it looks? If you know what I mean :)
Thanks in advance! x

3 Replies to How long do pointe shoes last? & Is pointe painful?

re: How long do pointe shoes last? & Is pointe painful? (karma: 1)
By Merfi
On Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:57 PM
It's difficult to say how long your pointe shoes would last, because it really depends on your feet, as well as how well you look after your shoes, and what kind of shoes you end up choosing. Mine tended to last a couple of months, doing about half an hour of pointe three times a week at the end of technique class, and an hour's pointe class every week, and I have reasonably strong (but not super bendy) feet.

With the pointe being painful thing, once again it really varies, because it will depend on how well your shoes fit, how good your technique is (if you're really lifting up and out of your shoes it shouldn't really be that bad) and how high your pain tolerance is. It's definitely uncomfortable, especially at first, but once you get the hang of it it isn't anything too awful. :)
re: How long do pointe shoes last? & Is pointe painful?
By autumndancer11
On Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:05 PM
Thanks! I really hope they last a couple or more months, I don't want my parents to go broke! lol. Thanks again!
re: How long do pointe shoes last? & Is pointe painful?
By balletmom42
On Thu Dec 03, 2015 07:23 PM
As the parent of a ballet dancer buying those shoes I appreciate your concern for your parents not going broke!

It's really important to get pointe shoes that fit your feet and fit your technique. Make sure your dance teacher comes with you for your first fitting. There are so many different types of shoes out there; one of them will be perfect for you!

You'll find that you can rotate your shoes to make them last as long as possible, but when they're done? They are done.

ReplySendWatch