Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Best pointe ribbons for tendonitis?
By DancinDaquiri
On Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:22 PM

Hey dancers!

So I've got tendinitis in my Achilles, and I've been looking at alternatives to traditional pointe shoe ribbons. There seem to be several brands in both the 'elastic' option (such as Bunheads Flexers - www.dancewearcentre.com . . ., or Bloch Elastorib) and the 'stretch ribbon' option (such as Russian Pointe's stretch ribbon - www.russianpointe.com . . ., or Prima Soft extra support extension ribbon).

Does anyone have any experience with stretching ribbons? Prefer a certain one over another? Have any idea as to which one is best for alleviating tendinitis symptoms?

Thanks! :)
-Daquiri

8 Replies to Best pointe ribbons for tendonitis?

re: Best pointe ribbons for tendonitis?
By Kittydoodles
On Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:40 PM
While I don't know what brand come with mine all the time, across the board elastic is a lot better feeling on the ankle no matter what kind you wear. They last a long time, too, and don't shred like the satin ones. I've been able to save elastics and used them on multiple pairs of shoes.
By ballerinafolyf
On Thu Dec 17, 2015 09:13 AM
flexers professional pink ribbon on discount dance these are made for the elastic to go over your tendons to prevent tendonitus there are several brands that make them
By iv_loves_pointe
On Thu Dec 17, 2015 01:46 PM
I have found that Bunheads and Bloch flexer ribbons work the best! I've struggled with achilles tendonitis for years and these ribbons have saved them!
By maddiedancer7
On Mon Dec 21, 2015 07:32 AM
Ah, the Russian pointe ones are better as they stretch the whole ribbon, instead of just the one piece.
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 22, 2015 09:51 AM
Just a side thought-

I started sewing my pointes so that the elastics crossed instead of just one extending around from the heel and i felt that it pulled up the shoe from the bottom and supported a bit more.
By lbcat
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:30 AM
On discount dance you can find ribbons with elastic in the part where your tendon would be so that it's not too tight. I've heard that it helps, and I would recommend it. Good luck with your achilles tendonitis, I had that last year and I understand that it's very painful. Remember to RICE!! (Rest, Ice, Compress, and Elevate) :)
By MeaMSBMD
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 07:23 PM
Hi, I've worn bunheads flexors, bloch elastorib, gaynor minden TLC, and primasoft and body wrappers totalstretch ribbons for tendonitis and I will let you know what I thought of each!
The bunheads flexors, bloch elastorib and gaynor minden TLC ribbons are all the kind with the elastic insert rather than being entirely elastic.The bunheads flexors ribbons are the worst of these three and the gaynor minden TLC ribbons are the best in my opinion.
The problem with the bunheads flexors is that the part where the elastic insert and the satin connect is poorly attached, making the ribbon less streamlined and it comes apart after several wears. I always ended up having to sew my ribbons back together, which is just silly. Additionally, I find that the bunheads ribbons are the stiffest and least comfortable.
The bloch elastorib are sewn to last, but there is a staunch difference in the color of the elastic and the color of the ribbon, making it obvious that there are separate parts.
The gaynor minden TLC ribbons are to die for. They are sewn strongly and almost seamlessly. They're very strong and incredibly comfortable. Additionally, they're a little more matte than the bloch or bunheads ribbons and knots don't slip out as easily.
As for ribbons that are completely elastic, i reccommend only the body wrappers variety. the prima soft kind are a lot less comfortable, attractive, and durable, in my opinion.
That being said, I only wear complete elastic ribbons on my flat ballet slippers. I don't feel that they give enough support in pointe shoes. However, it is a personal preference and I know that some people don't feel that way. Additionally, due to the extra stretchiness of the complete elastic ribbons, it is tempting to tie ribbons extremely tight, which actually puts more stress on the achilles tendon.
By balletmom42
On Thu Feb 04, 2016 06:13 PM
Not to sound like a "mom" or anything, but are you doing anything else about your tendonitis?
Try to rest the ankle and don't do stretching exercises; muscles stretch, tendons don't! Physio therapy is also an option! Also, ice to help with swelling and inflammation and most importantly figure out what is happening to cause it. And stop doing that.

ReplySendWatch