Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

SI Audition Question: Pointe Shoes
By Addicted2Dance4
On Fri Dec 11, 2015 07:32 PM

Seems like kind of a silly question, but anyways... When do different summer program auditions have you put on pointe shoes? For example, SAB of course has the entire audition en pointe, while ABT has barre and center on flat and pointe for 20 minutes at the end. I believe Miami City does barre on flat and center en pointe? What about other programs? (Specifically: PBT, Pennsylvania, Charlotte/Chautauqua, Kaatsbaan, Joffrey, Orlando, Washington, San Francisco, and PNB but information about others is welcome.) I'm trying to plan how many pairs of pointe shoes I'll need for the upcoming audition season because I go through them very quickly. I'm 17, BTW, if that affects your answer.

4 Replies to SI Audition Question: Pointe Shoes

re: SI Audition Question: Pointe Shoes
By hummingbird
On Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:09 PM
Age is nothing where pointe work is concerned (over a certain age of course) and most auditions would have the majority of the work performed in flat shoes with a swap to pointe shoes later on, that's even how most company and pro school auditions go too, not just SI auditions.
By Addicted2Dance4
On Fri Dec 25, 2015 03:50 PM
What I mean is that some auditions will have say for example students 14 and younger put their pointe shoes on for the last 15 min., while older students must take all of center on pointe. Other auditions require the entire class on pointe. My question, to clarify, is at what point in the audition do different programs have you put pointe shoes on? I'm 17, so it might be earlier in the class than say a 13 year old.
By S_H_A_O_
On Fri Dec 25, 2015 08:25 PM
Hi, unfortunately I have not attended the audition for some of the places you listed, but I can give you information about PNB, Joffrey, and San Francisco. I was in the younger age group for those auditions so I'm not sure if it would be different, but for all three of those places we only did pointe for the last part of class. I think Chautauqua may do most of their audition on pointe. Hope this helps!
By Dandeliondaisy
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 07:37 PM
I auditioned for PNB in the older age group and they gave the option to let 16 or older girls wear pointe shoes for barre if they felt more comfortable in pointe shoes, (I chose not to because I'm 15 and I wanted to show what I could do on flat, and a lot of the really good girls at my audition didn't either) and then we all put on shoes for center. I'm not sure about others though!

ReplySendWatch