Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys PG-13

Girls & Guys PG-13
Sexual healthcare for visa holders in the US?
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Mon Dec 14, 2015 06:51 AM

My sister is in the US for 3 months as her boyfriend scored an all expenses paid internship at Google (they even paid for her visa and flights!!!). She had implanon fitted about a month ago on the 4th or 5th day of her period. She's been in the US since the 1st of December and has had feelings of urgency to urinate and urinating much more than usual. I told her it might be a UTI so she can drank 4 litres of cranberry juice in 2 days because she's crazy and it cleared up the burning, cloudy wee, but not the frequency.

Aside from this and bloating, she's had no other side effects aside from a missing period with spotting when she should have had it. I went to the local sexual health clinic because she told me to with this info and they said it sounded like implanon doing its thing. My sis is freaking out she might be pregnant but admits that aside from missing period and peeing lots, nothing else. No sickness etc.

She really wants a pregnancy test done however, to keep her mind at peace, but I'm wondering if that is possible for visa holders? She has travel insurance provided by Google, but it's a bit of a process to get through. Could Planned Parenthood do anything? Sorry this is weird that a guy is posting this, but I know lots of the women here are in the US and quite knowledgeable on this stuff. Thanks!

9 Replies to Sexual healthcare for visa holders in the US?

re: Sexual healthcare for visa holders in the US?
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Dec 14, 2015 09:03 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2015-12-14 09:04:29
Has she bought an over-the-counter pregnancy test from a drugstore yet? She can get one from any drugstore and most grocery stores. The clinic will probably conduct the exact same pee-on-a-stick test and charge her more for it.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Mon Dec 14, 2015 09:43 AM
Planned Parenthood or any walk in clinic can treat at UTI. Have her buy a pregnancy test first. You can get one at the dollar store.
On Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:16 AM
The clinic I went to said her best bet is ultrasound or blood test because implanon tends to give a false negative on urine tests. It's worth a shot, but even if it is negative it doesn't really mean much. :/
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:25 AM
Google is walking distance from me, she must be really close by to me.

I know several friends who used planned parenthood and they were on a Visa. They can take care of her UTI.
Have you contacted Defyinggravity here on DDN? She is a local nurse in the area and she would know a lot more.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Mon Dec 14, 2015 07:41 PM
Google might even have a doctor office she can use right on it's campus, the employees practically live there. But if not I'm sure she can get some advice from hem. I know it's her boyfriend who's there but I would be surprised if they weren't supportive or at the very least point her to where she can be treated. A walk in clinic that has an ultrasound machine would do, she can call ahead first to make sure she's not wasting her time. If she has travelers health insurance a "regular" doctors office should take her too, she just needs to verify with them ahead of the appointment that they take he particular brand of insurance. It shouldn't be much more complicated than that. But I really think she should leverage the resources of google if she can, but if that takes too long just google the nearest walk-in clinic.

As a side note The emergency room of a hospital should be an absolute last resort if all else fails, unless she starts feeling very sick or in pain etc. It might seem simple to just go to the ER than making appointments, tracking insurance, checking equipment availability of clinics but if it's not a true emergency she'll have to wait a super long time and a lot of resources and time gets wasted, and likely end up with a huge bill at the end.

With that said, she has a lot of options, but i can understand how it would be overwhelming sifting through them all. But if google is like anything I hear it is like, they can help her out! I hope she feels better soon.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Dec 14, 2015 08:54 PM
I will chip in that I was never sick when I was pregnant with my son. The closest I ever came was coughing too hard one time, and my gag reflex kicked in (it's overly sensitive, haha...). So if she's looking for throwing up, that's not always a dependable sign.

On the flip side though, it's a REALLY common side effect from birth control for periods to stop. Happens to me all the time. That's a big part of how I didn't know if I was pregnant - I wasn't having periods (because of my birth control), so it never occurred to me that I'd missed one.

Google has people that can solve this. If they wanted him there bad enough that they were willing to fund her being their too, they can solve this. If they don't have an onsite doctor, I'd be baffled. And if they actually don't, they certainly know people.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Dec 14, 2015 09:32 PM
Nothing to add to the getting to a doctor side of things.

I have Nexplanon (same thing as Implanon and I had Implanon before Nexplanon). I've had one period in the last three and a half years. So, the no period thing is a side effect.

As long as she followed the directions and used another birth control method (condoms) for the first week and it is definitely in her arm (can feel it, I can feel mine and see it and move it a bit). Then it is very unlikely that she is pregnant. But if she thinks she might be, she needs to find out soon, because the Implanon will need to be removed if she is.
On Tue Dec 22, 2015 06:47 AM
Hey everyone, just thought I'd update since I got off the phone with sis. :) I told her about the doctor at Google and she was able to get an appointment with her. All she had was just a silly UTI and a side effect of implanon (she got implanon NXT). Not pregnant, yay! She says she is still spotting though, but hopes it will go away like the doctor said.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Dec 22, 2015 02:11 PM
Great, thanks for the update!

ReplySendWatch