Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

What should I expect at a SI audition? Please Help!!
By alijenks
On Sun Dec 27, 2015 03:01 PM

Hey Everyone,
So this year will be my first time auditioning for and attending summer intensives. I am auditioning for Joffrey,, Ballet Austin, and Long Beach Ballet. I wanted to know what should I expect for auditions and how should I prepare? Also what are the best types of leotards to wear? Like camisole or short sleeve.

Please Help!!

5 Replies to What should I expect at a SI audition? Please Help!!

re: What should I expect at a SI audition? Please Help!!
By vivien_o
On Sun Dec 27, 2015 08:55 PM
Wear a leotard style you're comfortable in--whether it be camisole, 3/4 sleeve, short sleeve, long sleeve, halter--and most people wear black or navy (but black is always the safest bet). I haven't attended any of those auditions, but most auditions are just like a basic class.
By TitaniaSilk
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:27 PM
Edited by TitaniaSilk (276139) on 2015-12-28 23:29:39 I forgot the last half of what I was going to say...
In terms of leotards, wear something comfortable and flattering. If the company/school specifies to wear a black leotard, definitely wear a black leotard, but otherwise just wear something you are going to feel confident in.
I can't speak for the other two, but I've auditioned for (and attended) the Ballet Austin intensive before and the audition really is just a basic class. It will be simple combinations so that they can see your technique.
If you really want to know what the class will consist of, you can look online at that school/company's video audition requirements, and everything they ask for in the video is typically what they'll be looking for at the audition.
By alijenks
On Fri Jan 01, 2016 08:56 PM
Did you enjoy Ballet Austin's intensive? I looked at their website and watched all of the videos and it seems so be very fun. But when I searched for reviews online I couldn't really find any.
By TitaniaSilk
On Sun Jan 03, 2016 09:53 PM
I had mixed feelings about the intensive. The level placement was very much based on age, with few exceptions, even though they maintained that it was based solely on technique (but they listed ages next to names when the level placement list went up, and you could literally go down the list and see how the ages matched up in each level). So I ended up with girls younger than me, and it really was too easy for me (we barely left the barre during pointe, and I had been working in the center for a year, etc. etc.). Basically, I don't think I should have been in that level (although, take that with a grain of salt, of course).
Also I found that in my level, some of the teachers had favorites that they were not at all subtle about, but from what my friends in other levels said, that didn't happen in other levels.
I really enjoyed the dorm life though. The curfews were reasonable, the dorm (which was a different one than the one they use now) was conveniently located, and the activities were fun. Whats nice too is that all the activities were optional, so if you didn't want to go play flag football on the capital building lawn or go to the mall, or have a fourth of july water balloon fight (which were some of the activities), you didn't have to. The RAs were super nice, and the dorm felt secure. The dorm life really was an amazing experience.
Overall, I enjoyed the dorm life more than the dancing, but again, I think that had more to do with being in the second youngest level. But I did enjoy it, to the point where I'm considering it for this summer.
By lbcat
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:18 AM
Wear any black leotard that you feel comfortable and confident in. A summer intensive audition is just like a normal class! Don't worry to much, just think, "I'm just taking another technique class and I'm also learning about this program and finding out if I like how they teach!"

ReplySendWatch