Forum: Competitions

New to competitions...please help!
By iv_loves_pointe
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:59 AM

Hello!

As the title says, I have never been to a dance competition. I have to enter one of my students' tap number that she self-choreographed at the KAR Dance competition coming up (with the blessing of the SO of course!). We have never done a competition so I am little confused! Here are a couple of questions I have:

1. What level do I enter the student? She is eighteen but has no competition experience? She is a pretty advanced dancer and dances about five times a week.

2. Is there a category for self-choreography?

3. The competition is listed as three days? What days would I need to be there? When is competition and when are awards?

4. Do we pay the full amount as soon as we sign up?

5. What time in the day would she compete? (a rough guestimate)

6. Is there anything else I should know?

Thank you so much! I can't wait to attend the competition with her!

5 Replies to New to competitions...please help!

re: New to competitions...please help!
By hummingbird
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 02:13 PM
If you go onto their website there's a link to rules that will tell you how they categorize ability levels, every competition has different rules on this.

They don't have a choreography section listed so you can assume that the choreography is just entered in it's own style category.

You won't know what days to be there until entries close and the schedule is drawn up. At the moment the people running the competition don't know what their schedule will be either, not until they see the level of entries.

Again, until the competition staff know how many entries they have they won't know when anyone is competing or when the awards will be handed out.

I'm just sorting out the schedule for a competition I run and last year I didn't have very many Jazz entries and hundreds of Lyrical entries, this year they've swapped round, I have hundreds of Jazz and not nearly so many Lyrical so my schedule has to fit round that.
By iv_loves_pointe
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 02:55 PM
Thank you so much!

So I have read over the rules, but I'm not sure what level to place her in. I'm just confused because she is an older, advanced dancer, but has no competition experience. What do you think I should pick? Here is what they have:

NEW: NOVICE LEVEL - Dancers who take no more than 3 hours of dance class per week. This level is for novice and non-competitive dancers. There are no Solos, Duet or Trios in this level. NOVICE dancers can only perform a maximum of 3 NOVICE performances. NOVICE dancers cannot compete in the SECONDARY, INTERMEDIATE or ELITE levels, but may perform in the PRIMARY and the non-leveled Super Line and Production categories. All NOVICE LEVEL acts are ineligible for Top Studio Awards or Cash prizes. Overall High Scores will be awarded.

PRIMARY LEVEL - Dancers with 0 to 2 years of competition experience who are 14 years of age or under. This level is designated for the younger, less experienced dancer. There will be no cash prizes awarded in the PRIMARY LEVEL. Overall High Scores will be presented in all 3 Age Groups (8 & Under, 9-11, and 12-14) in the Solo, Duet/Trio, Small Group, Large Group, and Line categories.

SECONDARY LEVEL - Dancers with 2 to 4 years of competition experience. If a dancer has 4 or more years of competition experience and is age 12 and above, the INTERMEDIATE LEVEL should be considered. Overall High Scores will be presented in all 4 Age Groups (8 & Under, 9-11, 12-14 and 15-19) in the Solo, Duet/Trio, Small Group, Large Group, and Line categories.

INTERMEDIATE LEVEL - Dancers with 4 to 7 years of competition experience. If a dancer has 7 or more years of competition experience and is age 15 and above, then the ELITE LEVEL should be considered. Overall High Scores will be presented in all 4 Age Groups (8 & Under, 9-11, 12-14 and 15-19) in the Solo, Duet/Trio, Small Group, Large Group, and Line categories.

ELITE LEVEL - Dancers with at least 7 years of competition experience and generally 14 years of age or older. Dancers in the ELITE LEVEL should display higher technical skills and abilities than the INTERMEDIATE LEVEL dancers. Overall High Scores will be presented in 2 Age Groups (12-14 and 15-19) in the Solo, Duet/Trio, Small Group, Large Group, and Line categories.

TEACHER LEVEL - Any act in which a teacher 20 years of age and above performs. All TEACHER LEVEL performances are ineligible for Top Studio Awards or Cash prizes. Student teachers ages 19 and under are permitted to compete in other competitive levels. Overall High Scores will be awarded.

Sorry for all of these questions! If you don't mind helping me out I have more questions as we get further in the process! :)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 03:01 PM
1. What level do I enter the student? She is eighteen but has no competition experience? She is a pretty advanced dancer and dances about five times a week.

There sometimes is a category for student choreography, and if there is, you'd enter her there. Otherwise, I think I would go with whatever the lowest level she'll qualify for is - everybody has different terms, and the categories are always set based on number of hours they practice in a week, and things like that. You'd enter her according to that. Not all studios are honest, but I encourage it.

3. The competition is listed as three days? What days would I need to be there? When is competition and when are awards?

Closer to the time of the event (usually a week to 10 days prior), you get a much more specific version of the schedule, that will tell you in more detail what days and times you'll dance. Be there, DRESSED, two hours ahead of time. Competitions often run ahead of schedule - they budget 5 minutes per dance, so if you don't have props, or your choreography is a little on the slight side, you won't need nearly that much time. And that time adds up!

4. Do we pay the full amount as soon as we sign up?

Yes.

5. What time in the day would she compete? (a rough guestimate)

It's anybodies guess, honest. You'll get a more specific schedule closer to the time of the event, like I detailed in my answer to number three, but just judging on how competitions run, I'd guess it'll be later in the day. Competitions tend to run their young kids earlier, and the older kids later.

6. Is there anything else I should know?

Overpack! Bring at least one backup copy of her song, bring safety pins, pack an extra pair of tights. Be ready for anything, because the thing you aren't prepared for, will be the one that happens. Prepare her for anything. Prepare her for the music stopping, prepare her for them turning on the wrong song, whatever. Be prepared, be prepared, be prepared.
By iv_loves_pointe
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 04:22 PM
Thank you so much! Okay, so I signed her up and she was placed in Secondary automatically.

I have a few more questions:
-Is there one big dressing room with everyone or how does that work?
-Does someone come and tell you when it's your turn to be ready backstage?
-Should you perform to the judges or audience?
-If you compete in the afternoon and the awards are later in the night, can you leave and come back?
-How does tap usually go over at a competition?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 04:33 PM
Some competitions will assign rooms to dance studios specifically, some will just throw open the doors, and it's on you to find space and get dressed. It's been a few years since I've been to a KAR competition, but as memory serves, that's what they do. Their events are typically held in high schools, so they'll usually open the cafeteria, and it's just a free for all.

You can leave and come back, but know that they're not going to wait for you either. If it's time for awards, they just run the awards, they don't check to make sure everyone is there. A lot of times, when my son competes, we'll leave to go get breakfast, and come right back, or whatever.

No, no one will come to get you. They're happy to tell you where they're at in the line up, but you're on your honor to be back there on time.

ReplySendWatch