Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

How long does it take for your shoes to die?
By alijenks
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:06 PM

Hey Dancers,

How long does it take for your shoes to die?
Also, what type of shoes do you wear?
And, how long have you been on pointe?

5 Replies to How long does it take for your shoes to die?

re: How long does it take for your shoes to die?
By Gracie220
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 01:03 PM
It depends on your technique and how long/often you dance in the pointe shoes. Also, some brands are known more for holding up longer than others. My Grishko 2007s seem to last a few months, but I don't wear them every day (a couple times per week). I'm an adult dancer who took pointe when I was younger and then picked it up again a few years ago. If you're looking for a pair you've never worn before, it's best to get fitted in a local shop first.

Based on experience and reading reviews, brands like Bloch and Grishko (and Gaynor Minden, of course) are known for lasting longer and are great for studio work, whereas Freed pointe shoes are known more as performance shoes (they break in quickly, but also break down quickly). However, Freed also has their Studios line, and those shoes tend to hold up longer. Not all shoes within a brand are the same. Some are made more for performance or for younger (lighter) students and can be softer and break down more quickly, whereas others are known more for their durability. If you're just browsing, trying to get a better idea, you might try reading some descriptions and reviews on discountdance.com . They don't have every pointe shoe on the market, but they do have pretty good descriptions and lots of reviews from people who have used the shoes. Of course, reviews aren't always accurate, but you can generally get an idea of which shoes tend to die more quickly than others, etc.
By vivien_o
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 02:32 PM
I had a pair of Freed Classics that lasted me 1 week of dancing in them 2 hours a day, whereas my Grishko Triumphs last me around a month or two depending on current repertoire. I'll typically rotate between a few different pairs of the same style to prolong their life (by letting them dry out in-between uses, it makes them not break down as fast). I've been en pointe for about a year now, and often I'll use floor polish or jet glue to extend the life of my shoes and give them more of a wing block.
By Gracie220
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 02:53 PM
I totally agree with the jet glue!
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Mon Dec 28, 2015 04:37 PM
Shoes have a life of about 16-20 hours of consistent use. It depends, yes, on your technique, your build, and how heavy you are in them.

Where they break can also depend on your technique. For example, my shanks tend to go first. I know students whose boxes get mushy first.

How you store them has a big influence on how long they last, as well. If you dry them between wearings, you will make them last longer.

I wear Russian Pointe Rubin and they last about 2 months with 2-4 hours on pointe per week. I dry them between classes, because I have class every other day. If I had classes every day, I would have two pair to rotate so each pair has time to dry.

Some of my past shoes were Freed (they lasted only a few weeks, if I were lucky!), Bloch Heritage (about a month of 8 hours per week), Capezio Plie (two weeks with 8 hours per week of pointe), Gaynors (a few months - the shanks would get too weak after a while).

I've been on pointe for about 30+ years.
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:00 PM
Having danced in Grishko 2007s for about 4 years (as long as I've been on pointe), they take an average of about a month to die, but thats with excessive jet glueing. My shanks always go first and it's always a bummer when the shanks are completely broken and dead while the boxes still have some life in them.

ReplySendWatch