Forum: Adults / 30 Something

30 Something
Running -vs Ballet
By tellaboy Comments: 66, member since Wed Sep 29, 2010
On Wed Dec 30, 2015 06:57 AM

Can I get a little Help? 30 or 40 or 50 its just a # they call age right?
So I use to run and I want to start running again .I am 5.4 tall and 130 lbs .But I am not in running shape.I want to start running But I was thinking about stepping up to a Real Ballet class can help me get back in shap. Would taking a real Ballet Class not just a stretch class help get me get in shape and get rid of my "gut"
2nd part of the question Is an adult Ballet class High Cardio low impact Workout That's Easy on Your Knees. Thank you Ron

3 Replies to Running -vs Ballet

re: Running -vs Ballet
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:42 AM
Ballet classes in general are not going to be high cardio. Most classes there is a lot of stopping for the teacher to explain and demonstrate what to do next, helping others , changing the music, etc. You aren't non stop moving for an hour. If you are looking for a ballet type workout that has more stamina involved, I would look into a barre class at a pilates studio (there are also all barre studios such as Pure Barre). If you want classical ballet rather than the barre classes, I think combining that with a running routine would be good. Maybe sign up for a 5k race in the spring so you have a motivation and something to train for and work towards.
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:12 AM
Moonlitefairy06 is exactly right. Ballet class, if you are wanting to put it into a "running" sense, is more of a series of short sprints (after you are done with barre) vs actual aerobic exercise.

If you are looking into getting back into running I HIGHLY recommend the couch to 5k series. There are a lot of different free apps you can download that are free. My other favorite running app is Rock My Run. There is both a free and premium version. I love Rock My Run because it speeds up and slows down your music to match your pace. For me personally it helps keep me motivated to keep my pace up and having the base match my steps is awesome.
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Sat Jan 02, 2016 06:21 PM
Ballet is usually low cardio. Ballet is very good for a person wanting to stay in shape and getting more flexible at the same time!

Running is usually not good for your knees. Dancers usually do not run!

Go for it

Keep us posted

Have you found a ballet studio yet?

If you have any questions ... Please ask me

Good luck

ReplySendWatch