Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
Ballet or no? At 15 years old.
By Oony Comments: 2, member since Thu Dec 31, 2015
On Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:48 PM

I really want to begin doing ballet. I'm turning 15 this year, though, and I'm not sure if I'm too old. I've never done ballet in my life before. I started Irish Dancing last year, though.
I'm kind of nervous to start because I feel like I could be very isolated in a class with lots of children who are quite a few years younger than me.
Equally, I do not have the build of a ballet dancer. I'm not particularly thin, and sometimes I can feel quite insecure about my body.
I think ballet is beautiful though.
So, I guess my question is do you think I should start ballet? And, do you have any tips for me, if so?

9 Replies to Ballet or no? At 15 years old.

re: Ballet or no? At 15 years old.
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Fri Jan 01, 2016 01:29 AM
What are you waiting for?

:)

I know 40 and 50 year old women who have started ballet. Most will say that they had always wanted to try ballet. Just go for it! Some schools will have teen beginner classes. Perhaps there is one near you? If not, just give it a shot. You have nothing to lose.
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jan 03, 2016 07:00 PM
I agree! Get in there and sign up for classes.
By Gaudium Comments: 1366, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Mon Jan 04, 2016 07:12 AM
I agree with Melissaga and Hummingbird if Ballet is your dream sign up today. You should also know that Ballet is a great challenge and requires discipline, strength, balance and grace. Ballet includes traditional barre and centre work designed to build a beautiful, graceful, and healthy body with fine posture and poise. After taking thin into mind and you still feel Ballet is for you, I think you should go for it. Good Luck and enjoy yourself!
By Aurelia123 Comments: 17, member since Wed Mar 21, 2012
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 09:56 PM
Definitely go for it! I started around 15/16 too! You can try finding a youth ballet class for teenage beginners but I know those are pretty rare. Otherwise, if you don't want to dance with kids, looking for an adult ballet class would be good. Do keep in mind though, that if you go for an adult ballet class, you'll probably be the 'kid' there!

I danced with 10-11 year olds when I started ballet and being 6 years older than them didn't stop me from being friends with them! I unleashed my inner kid and it was really fun! I'm 20+ now, dancing with the 13-14 year olds (same bunch of girls I started with) and it's really fun to see them grow up (haha I do sound so old here). And now some of them are coming to me for advice about school and growing up and stuff. So dancing with kids isn't as bad as you think it would be. Most important thing is to not worry about your body shape and how some kids are so skinny and flexible. Just have fun! Regardless of whether you go to adult class or a class with kids, just have fun! That's the most important thing!
By autumndancer11 Comments: 37, member since Tue Jun 10, 2014
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:42 PM
Hey! I know you already got a few reply's already, but I started at 15 too (i'm 16), but I'm so glad I started, it's not so scary as it may seem! I already did the nutcracker! You may even be able to begin pointe in a few years! Go for it! Just be willing to work very hard, and do everything your teacher says.I'm not very "thin" either, but that's okay, since i'm not planning on being a professional or anything :) Now is a great time to sign up (after The Nutcracker) Good luck! x
By pureblacklily Comments: 29, member since Fri Dec 13, 2013
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:47 PM
Go for it! A quote I live by:

"In a years time, you'll regret that you didn't start today!"
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:07 AM
I think as long as you're keenly aware of your goals, you'll do great. Like, if your goal is to become the next Misty Copeland, you're probably too late, unfortunately. There's 10 million girls that want that gig, and she's a once in a lifetime dancer, we all know that.

But, if you just have always loved it, and want to try it...then love it! And try it! Go on, girl!
By mikochan Comments: 11, member since Fri Dec 11, 2015
On Mon Jan 11, 2016 07:35 AM
It is not too late for any age, you can learn much faster if you are older too:)
By thatguyoverthere Comments: 2, member since Mon Jan 11, 2016
On Mon Jan 11, 2016 03:00 PM
I have just started at the age of 22, since your age I've always been wanting to start. I now regret not starting at 15 as I was quite shy about it, but I now realise how silly I was. So do give it a go, I always remind myself that everyone had to start somewhere, no one is going to expect you to be able to do a grand jetè in your first class! If you tell them you've never danced before they will take you through the real basics. As it's key to master these before you can progress. Good luck :)

ReplySendWatch