Forum: Irish / Irish - Teachers and Assistants

Taking TMRF/TCRG after long absence... anybody done it?
By seanmharcailinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 02, 2016 07:10 PM

Hi All,

I have been away from dance for quite some time- actually, my last class was a mixed level adult class 4 years ago in London when I was studying there, and prior to that I was out of dance due to injury (and drama.)

It has always been my goal to take the TCRG, but I'm not sure where to start at this point.

My first TC, who I was with for many years, closed her school but has since reopened in my town. Before she closed her school I approached another teacher in the area and we agreed that she would take me as a transfer for the next 2 years while I prepare for the TCRG. Well, she never supported me in studying or taking the exam, and we had a huge falling out at my last Oireachtas because a Dance Mom told her some nasty lies about me. I was devastated! It really ruined my last year of competing and broke my heart, and although the teacher apologized, she never made good on her promise to help me with the TCRG.

After those bad experiences, and then injury and surgery, I really just want that TCRG after my name for my own sense of accomplishment. I had two last goals- to compete at worlds and to get my TCRG. I'll never make it to Worlds, but I don't know where to go from here.

I feel like I could take the exam in 2017, I just need someplace to start. I need to be fit and healthy and have the chance to teach ceili to some kids hands on. And really, I just want to dance again. I really miss it.

So uh.. any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks guys.

3 Replies to Taking TMRF/TCRG after long absence... anybody done it?

re: Taking TMRF/TCRG after long absence... anybody done it?
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 01:53 PM
I don't know much about the TC at all, but I do remember hearing that after a certain date (in the not far off future) the candidate will have had to pass all the levels of the grade exams before they can take the TC
By krisinstitches
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:12 PM
From CLRG TCRG exam syllabus:

"Effective January 1st 2018, all candidates must have completed Grades 1 through to 12 to be eligible to take the TCRG examination. Each candidate will be required to submit proof of having taken all twelve grades. This documentation must be submitted with the application."

So I'd say that if there's any chance your exam would slip into 2018 that you look into taking the grade exams. Best of luck!!

Info on grade exams: www.clrg.ie . . .
By jigdancer17
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:26 PM
Hi there! As noted above, starting at the beginning of 2018, you will need to sit and pass all grade exams to be eligible to sit the TCRG examination. The grade exams would certainly help in your preparation for the exam, given that you don't feel ready prior to 2018, as they require you to learn the ceilis and traditional sets.

In terms of places to start, can you reach back out to your original TC who reopened a new school in your town? Any opportunity you have to take classes/assistant teach will certainly benefit you, both in terms of fitness and exposure to dancing.

A lot of people start with the ceili dances, since there are 30 and you need to know them in such detail. I started with learning all of the traditional sets, and then worked on the ceilis after that. I found that adding new material every week in addition to practicing the old material worked well for me. As soon as you pick a place to start, you'll find a method that works for you. You have a while before you're considering sitting the exam, so no need to cram for it :) Honestly, enjoy the experience!

I would also advise you to get your application in to CLRG as soon as possible. Exams fill up really quickly and sometimes there are a lot of candidates on wait lists, so if you think you're serious about doing it before 2018, don't hesitate to get the application started. You'll need two character references and a dance teacher's reference as well.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have additional questions, I'm happy to help.

ReplySendWatch