Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

What age do you have to be to partake in an adult class?
By Oony
On Sun Jan 03, 2016 01:35 AM

I was wondering what age you have to be to join in with an adult class, approximately.

I'm 15 years old, and most of the schools near me only offer classes for adults or for (at my age) intermediate to advanced dancers. I have never done ballet before in my life, so obviously, joining these classes would not be an option.

Another type of class I've sometimes seen offered in my research has been open classes. What are open classes?

The adult classes also seem, generally, a lot more easy going. I'm not looking to become a professional dancer, I just want to do it because the style is so beautiful, and it looks like a good way to get exercise.

Do you think I should just keep looking for something, or do you have any other advice?

4 Replies to What age do you have to be to partake in an adult class?

re: What age do you have to be to partake in an adult class?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 03, 2016 06:15 AM
You'll have to call and ask. I think many studios would let an older teen take an adult class. I've seen adult ballet classes listed as 16 and older (but also I've seen them listed s 18 and older, or just "adult").
By vivien_o
On Sun Jan 03, 2016 03:04 PM
It depends on the studio, when I started off I went to a studio where the ballet class was done by age groups (i.e. 13 and up). Not much room for growth, but a good starting point. If there's nothing like that near you, I'd recommend going to open classes--they're basically classes open to anyone for a small fee. Select a level appropriate to your amount of training--there's nothing more frustrating than being in an advanced class with someone who doesn't know what they're doing. By selecting a class that you can keep up in, you'll meet people around your age who are in the same boat as you. Go to the adult/open classes! You'll have lots of fun.
By hummingbird
On Sun Jan 03, 2016 07:10 PM
majere is right, it depends on the studio, you'll have to ring and ask them. If you're a beginner though you should really be in a beginner class and I would be very wary of any studio that let you join in with students who are more advanced.
By SarahdncrPremium member
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 07:13 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2016-01-09 07:19:59
I am guessing you might be living in a major city /large metropolitan area, as we have just the OPPOSITE problem here.

Where I live trying to find good adult classes is like pulling teeth! They are so few and far between. Most of us adults here who are recreationally studding ballet, usually end up having to take class with the more serious (and far advanced--as technique goes) teen-agers.

Where I have danced before moving here, I always had just starting out older teen's in the adult class as the teacher's wanted to fill up the class, given so few adults. So for me it was never unusual to see/have older teen's in my adult classes.

FYI, Open or -drop -in classes are as have already been described.

However, it is my understanding that they are more often than not, are to be found at school's associated with professional companies, or at serious pre-pro schools/studio's. I don't think you will find many a local/small studio holding open classes. To my understanding, open classes tend to be for serious pre-pro/pro dancer's to get in additional workout's, and/or to work on a specific problems they are having, or to work with a specific teacher, (e.g. taking a Finis Young open class, or in taking a open class with David Howard (RIP) at Step's-On-Broadway) etc.

Best advice is to call around and ask questions. You can't go wrong for doing good research. Your assessment of your entry skill level, your interest, and what you are looking to accomplish out of taking recreational ballet is all in the right place and Good on You!! If you can find one, getting into an adult beginner ballet class would be absolutely fine for a person your age. At 15 yrs. you should certainly be mature enough by now (and I am assuming you are) to be among adults who want to learn like you do.

Good luck with it, and I hope you can find a class that works out for you!!
By Gaudium
On Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:58 AM
Before starting ask yourself what are your goals and if you are serious enough to stick with them. At your age it is almost impossible to become a professional but there are always exceptions.

No teacher can work miracles, nor will years of training make a good dancer of an untalented pupil. One may be able to acquire a certain technical facility, but no one can ever acquire an exceptional talent.

Everything depends on your health, abilities and goals. Now add the school and teachers into the mix.

What ever your decision GOOD LUCK!

ReplySendWatch