Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Summer Dance Intensive, perfect for a 12 year old
By sami2004
On Sun Jan 03, 2016 08:37 AM

Hi
My daughter is 12 yrs old and has been dancing since she is 3 and on point for 1 year 1/2. She loves Ballet and Contemporary dancing and is interested in auditioning for a Summer Intensive and board away from home. She is looking for a program that will really push her, and correct her. She has participated in a local summer intensive for the last 3 years so she is use to the long hours.

Would love to get your thoughts on the following studios or if anyone has any new recommendations:

SSDI
Joffrey -NYC
Bolshoi Ballet Academy - CT
RockSchool
Alvin Alley

Much thanks!

2 Replies to Summer Dance Intensive, perfect for a 12 year old

re: Summer Dance Intensive, perfect for a 12 year old
By MeaMSBMD
On Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:16 AM
Hi! Have you looked into CPYB? I think CPYB is the best choice for any young dancer. I spent three years there and would say it's been the most valuable summer program for me and for many of my friends. They offer a five week course with boarding and a two week August course, which are both highly recommended. Though there are no auditions, CPYB offers really high-caliber training to dancers from intermediate level to professional. There are 4-5 classes a day and it's strictly ballet and pointe classes. Some students have partnering too, but if you're twelve, don't expect it. If you want to grow as a dancer, go to CPYB.
I have also been to Bolshoi Ballet's summer program in Connecticut. I was nine years old, and it was 2008, so the program may be a little bit different now. We had one technique class each day, one pointe/pre-pointe class, one repertoire class and one character class. The older girls (13 and 14) have partnering. There were also musical theatre, Russian language, arts & crafts, ballet history, etc classes throughout the week. There were also activities such as swimming, bonfires and outdoor games. The building we lived and danced in was very beautiful and I made a lot of good friends. However, I felt as though it was very summer-campy.
I've heard a lot of negative things about the Joffery ballet summer programs and the rock school summer intensive. My best friend was a student at the Rock school for five years, but she never attended the summer program, and I've never been to either program so I can't say anything about that.
re: Summer Dance Intensive, perfect for a 12 year old
By sami2004
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:38 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to response, your input is very helpful!!

ReplySendWatch