Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Pointe - Beginners
Lambswool
By silverflameca Comments: 11, member since Wed Apr 03, 2013
On Sun Jan 03, 2016 07:07 PM

Hello,

I'm an adult dancer starting pointe in a couple weeks. I had my shoes fitted in December and the fitter strongly discouraged padding for beginners, aside from lambswool.
After the fitting she left the lambswool in the pointe shoes for me. Is it something that one needs to replace? If so, how long will it typically last?
Also, how should I store my shoes after dancing in them? Do I need to leave them out for a bit (to dry/air out) and then put them back in the box for the rest of the week? Or should I only put them back in the box when travelling to/from class?

Thanks!

8 Replies to Lambswool

re: Lambswool
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jan 03, 2016 07:14 PM
After class you should remove the lambs wool from your shoes, it will have sweat in it and sweat is one of the things that breaks down the glue in your block. By removing it you'll make your shoes last a bit longer.

If these shoes were fitted with lambs wool then I would stick with that for now and as you get more used to how the shoes feel play around with different padding to see what works best for you.

Congratulations on going on pointe :)
By Iamalittlefishie Comments: 707, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 06:20 AM
Like Hummingbird said, remove everything from the shoes. Don't put them back in the box or leave them zipped up in your dance bag either-- set them out to dry for a day or two.

If you have problems with blisters, you'll find a lot of advice on this site! I used just lambswool and toe tape for a while and I liked it. Ultimately, the padding choice is yours, and you should make that decision with your teacher, helped by the fitter. I guess what I am trying to say, is don't feel discouraged if the fitters advice doesn't work. :)
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 01:03 AM
Thank you both so much for your advice! I will definitely talk to my teacher also about my shoes and padding needs as I learn, but it is good to know in advance that I will need to remove everything from my shoes each time. That's not what I would have guessed. :)
I'm excited but a bit nervous to start; though glad I got to watch another adult beginner start last year, while I did the same execises in my slippers.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 07:48 AM
Yes, certainly let your pointe shoes air/dry out for a day or two after you wear them in class. It continues to amaze me how much sweat my feet produce when taking class.

I just wanted to add another thought on helping to protect your pointe shoes to keep them lasting a bit longer. Instead of keeping your working(class) pointe's in their box once you are done with them, you can get a commercial mesh pointe shoe bag to store them in when not in use.

That way they can dry out in the bag, and you can then just toss the pointe shoe bag into your dance bag. Also, if you don't use a pointe shoe bag, then after they are dry, you can find some inexpensive shoe cover's for them. I use inexpensive stretchy house slipper's/feet covers. For one set of my pointe's I have covered using a pair of pink ribbon (breast cancer awareness) stretch house slippers, and for my other pair, I have cute silly alligator motif slippers I use. Also, I believe a person on here has recently started selling a range of her own design of point shoe cover's. Hope this helps!
By Alassin_Sanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 266, member since Tue Dec 28, 2010
On Sun Jan 10, 2016 03:56 PM
Sarahdncr wrote:

Also, I believe a person on here has recently started selling a range of her own design of point shoe cover's. Hope this helps!

It was Pureblacklily who designed the pointe shoe covers - the thread is here: www.dance.net . . .
On Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:07 PM
Edited by silverflameca (257921) on 2016-01-11 22:08:15
Thanks for the ideas! I will look into a bag or covers (those covers are pretty!). I've taken everything out of them tonight to start with and put them down to dry.
For class I'd only put in half of the lambswool the shoes had been fitted with and found out at the end that it had flattened and shifted over to my smaller toes. That explains why my big/second toe were crying from hitting the floor. Next week I'm trying more padding and being more careful of placement of it, and also selective wrapping of toes, based on feedback I received after class.
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2090, member since Sun Jan 11, 2009
On Fri Jan 22, 2016 08:58 AM
Edited by nycsylph (206174) on 2016-01-22 09:02:12
Loved lambs wool and I'm glad your fitter steered you in that direction.

In addition to the advice already given, I wanted to say that you need to fluff out the lambs wool each time you use it. I'm not surprised at your experience. The amount needs to be generous enough to cover your toes because it packs down. Let it dry, but before using it again, you need to fluff it out by pulling at the fibers with your fingers. You'll be able to tell when you need to replace it when you can't pull it apart without leaving holes in it.

So remember: fluff! And be generous, as you found out it compresses so all that skin needs to be covered. It's pretty useless when flat.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
On Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:22 PM
Thank you! Fluffing it back out makes sense. I really appreciated that tip as then I realized that I needed new stuff sooner than I would have expected. My mom's already given me a bag of lambswool, luckily. Perhaps it's from when she danced pointe herself years ago! I didn't ask. :)
The classes since I have gone better, once I knew more about my padding/wrapping needs and what to expect and what it would feel like actually moving (in the store, stepping onto pointe and standing it didn't seem bad at all, ha). What I also hadn't been expected was what a different leg workout it felt like! Different and more hard on my legs than demi-pointe work. Fun though!

ReplySendWatch