Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

FREED Studios - Question on Vamp
By cara7
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 07:49 AM
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-05 07:49:46

Hi there! I have FREED Studios Professionals, and they are fine, but the vamp is a tiny bit too high and restrictive when rolling demi-pointe, is it true that the vamp of Studios I & II is somewhat lower, and that the Studios Professionals run wider compared to Studios I & II?
THANKS!!!

(The shoes in the photo are my Studios Professionals)

23 Replies to FREED Studios - Question on Vamp

re: FREED Studios - Question on Vamp
By Aurelia123
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 09:46 PM
Hi there,

I have Studios 1 pointe shoes and I also feel that the vamp is a bit long and my rolling through to demi pointe isn't as comfortable as I would like it to be. From what the fitter told me, it seems like the studios line are designed to corset the feet and be really supportive, but I feel like it squahes my feet from the sides when I roll up. To answer about the vamp, it does seem like studios professional has a slightly longer vamp, based on comparing your photo to my own shoes. The issue with rolling through demi pointe I feel has as much to do with the high vamp as the design of the shoe. From the photo, the studios professional shoes does appear slightly wider too.

Hope all this helps! I'm looking for a better pair of shoes for my next pair! The long vamp also makes it hard for me to be fully on the box sigh..
By cara7
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 04:05 AM
Hello! Thanks for your reply, it's hard to judge from the pics, as due to the angle, the vamps looks sometimes shorter than in reality.. but thanks anyway!! Have you tried Russian Pointe Encore or Entrada Pro? Good for tapered feet, and comfy, I love them... vamp 2 makes roll-trough easy, and you can chose between V or U-cut vamp...
By cara7
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 04:06 AM
Hello! Thanks for your reply, it's hard to judge from the pics, as due to the angle, the vamps looks sometimes shorter than in reality.. but thanks anyway!! Have you tried Russian Pointe Encore or Entrada Pro? Good for tapered feet, and comfy, I love them... vamp 2 makes roll-trough easy, and you can chose between V or U-cut vamp...
By Aurelia123
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 06:08 AM
Oh yes, telling length is hard from a photo but I just realized that I can measure it and tell you! Why didn't I think of it earlier! The studios I vamp is 6cm, measured from edge of platform to drawstring, at the middle of the shoe (I.e. shortest part of vamp) Erm, if you don't use metric measurements, 6cm is 2.36 inches. Measure your studios professional and tell me how long the vamp is? I'm curious to know too!

As for Russian Pointes, I have tried them! Encore is the best fit for me but unfortunately the local store keeps running out of my size and the next shipment won't be for a long while later. Also the store tends to stock longer vamps so a special order would take even longer! Entradas don't work for my feet because the profile is too high. I tend to need shoes with a slightly lower profile.

Im thinking of getting Grishko 2007 pro shoes. Have you tried them? I tried them on in a store and they feel good but I don't quite like the aesthetics of the shoes. To be honest with you, freeds have the prettiest shoes around. The problem with Russian pointes and other brands is that they tend to have a lot of excess fabric at the heel area. Have you tried the grishko 2007 before?
By cara7
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 06:21 AM
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-06 06:23:12
The vamp of my Studios Pro is 7.5cm drawstring included (size 6.5D) which size are yours? Because the vamp is probably shorter with smaller sizes... yes, I know 2007 as well as Grishko Nova & Miracle (both built on 2007 last) but I liked the glue used for the box better with Nova & Miracle, as the box of the regular 2007 seemed a bit hard & more brittle.. the "2007 Pro" has latex added to the glue, which maybe makes it a bit more elastic... YES, the Freeds look extremley aesthetic, I agree... the satin is much more stiff and holds the shape so much better...
Do you know the MERLET "n2"? It is comfortable and looks very nice, and also has this stiff satin (like FREED Studios) that keeps the shape in the heel are very well. It has a cute dark pink velvet lining... it comes in 3/4 or 4/4 shank, and it is a polycarbonate shank. H is very hard, but M is good, the 3/4 shank adapts quite well to the arch!
By Gracie220
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:45 PM
Cara7 - I have Studio 1s in a 7.5C. I will measure them when I get home later for comparison. I've also tried the Studio Professionals and they did seem to have a slightly longer vamp, but both were pretty long. The more tapered boxes on the regular Studios are better for my feet, though. Maybe my feet aren't archy enough, but I had trouble getting over the boxes with both pairs. It would be really great if Freed also had a medium vamp option on the Studios line. The Studio 1s would be just about perfect for me then.

Those Merlet shoes look beautiful and they look like they might work for my feet! I'll have to look around and see if any fitters have them...

Aurelia123 - I agree 100% with your comment on the aesthetics of Grishkos and Freeds! ;) I have bony, tapered feet and they just seem to be made for Grishko 2007s. I have yet to find a more comfortable shoe. And trust me, I've been looking. The closest I've come is RP Sapfir or Almaz. I've tried Grishko Miracles and I like them, but the box is just slightly less tapered and not quite as comfortable for my feet. I have yet to try Novas... Grishko 2007s just fit so well and they look great with my arches, but there's something about the color, suede sole, etc, I just don't love (I know the color is not really important though lol). I also sometimes like to make demi-pointes out of my dead pointe shoes, and 2007s are not ideal for it because of the suede sole and the bound insole. I absolutely love the way Freeds look, and they're ideal for making demis! Perhaps someday I'll find some perfectly fitting Freeds. :)
By cara7
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:53 PM
Gracie220, Thanks for your reply! Are you from Europe? In EU, Move Dancewear carries Merlet N2. I find them very comfy, acutally as comfy as 2007, which are also a good fit for my tapered Greek feet... but feet are very individual, of course.. so there's no guarantee... but I can really recommend the N2.
By Gracie220
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 07:26 PM
I'm in the US, and it seems fairly difficult to find Merlet shoes, even online. I would love to try them. I'll definitely keep the N2 in mind!

On my Freed Studios, it looks like the vamp is almost 8cm from edge to edge - but about 7.5 if you stop before the binding. But it sounds like my shoe size is also a little bigger. :)
By hummingbird
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:55 PM
Most people mess around with shoes they like to tailor them to their feet, this link off the Pointe Stickies thread at the top of this forum tells you how to shorten the vamp on a pair of shoes you like.

www.dance.net . . .
By Aurelia123
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 02:04 AM
Cara 7, I'm outside now so I don't have my pointe shoes with me but I wear a 4D I think (maybe a 4.5D, I can't remember, but my shoe size is definitely smaller than yours). Since you, Gracie 220 and I all have different sizes, I think we should tell each other the ratio of our vamp length to shoe length. So measure the full length of the bottom of the shoe, take the vamp length and divide it by the full length you measured. Haha we're turning into pointe shoe math nerds :P Anyway, Hummingbird is definitely right, we can probably make the vamp a little shorter ourselves!

As for the merlet shoes, I'm in south east asia and none of the stores in my area carry merlet shoes. Thank you for the recommendation though! When I go overseas for my next holiday, I'll definitely visit some dance shops and look for it! The shoes look really pretty, like the freeds studio line but with a shorter vamp.

Gracie220, I didn't know that the 2007s can't easily be converted to demi pointes. Hmm, that might make me reconsider getting them for my next pair. Just a point that I suddenly thought of.. I realized that freeds, although it's harder to get over the box, actually makes me place my weight more correctly. Have you seen how some girls seem to balance en pointe with their toes really bent forward from the metatarsals but their instep and ankle areas are totally not stretching fully (I don't know if you understand what I mean, hope you do). In freeds, because of the way the shoe fits, if I want to be over the box, I have to fully stretch my feet and place my weight more on my big toe. Anything less and I don't get onto the box properly. Do you find that to be the case for you too?

If I'm not wrong, if you're willing to pay a whole ton, you can get freeds to customize your shoes for you and shave a few millimeters off the vamp. Maybe we girls with bony, tapered greek feet will treat ourselves to that one day :D
By cara7
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:55 AM
Hi Aurelia! PS: Can you please tell me if measured from edge of platform "to the drawstring" means that you did NOT include the casing of the drawstring, and that it would be 6.5cm WITH the casing? I am not sure yet if I dare cutting re-sewing the vamp, like hummingbird recommended... but it is an interesting idea!! (Maybe I better try that on an old pair first, as I have never done that before...) THANKS!!
By cara7
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:59 AM
Here is an official list of MERLET reatailers, also including quite some US retailers, if this helps:
www.merletdance.com . . .
By Gracie220
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 03:51 PM
That's a great point, Aurelia! The Freeds did definitely work my feet a little more. Maybe a little stretching and working on my feet will allow the Studios to be a better fit for me. I do plan on getting them again. I have a couple of things I want to try differently when breaking in the next pair.
By Gracie220
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 03:53 PM
Thanks for the link, Cara7! I will have to look into some of these retailers.
By Aurelia123
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:03 AM
Yup, Cara7, it's 6cm not including the drawstring casing, so 6.5cm including casing. And just FYI, the shank is 17.5cm long while the whole length of the shoe is 21cm. So the ratio of vamp to lengh is 0.37, you can measure yours and find out once and for all exactly which shoe comes with a longer vamp.

Gracie, how do you break in your studio 1s? I find the shoes turn soft and mold to my feet pretty fast so I generally just wear them for a class without doing anything special to break them in. When I do some simple rises and roll ups to warm up before pointe class, the shoes will already be sort of broken in by the warm up. It takes about another one or two more classes before they're fully comfortable though.
By Gracie220
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 09:10 AM
I didn't do much to break in my Studios - mostly just wearing them around the house and doing some basics. I also bent the shank a little right where I wanted it and they formed perfectly to my arches. The main thing I want to do differently with the next pair is the padding. I should have just used a little lambswool. That's really all I needed. I used ouch pouches to break in the pair I have now and the boxes are stretched a little too much so my toes sink down too much if I try to use less padding. Lesson learned. Oh, well. I'll just have to try another pair! :)
By cara7
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 09:43 AM
Hello Aurelia,

Sorry, I am not sure how to measure the shank length so that you can compare it to yours, as the Studios Professionals have a graduated 3/4 shank, unlike your Freed Studios, which have a full sole... I also find it hard to measure the shoe's length, as the heel is not stiff like the soles of street shoes, so I fear the measures might be incorrect... sorry...
By cara7
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 09:49 AM
Gracie, have you tried the Studios Professionals? The V-cut looks nice, and the toe box is more comfortable, it has some kind of shock absorbing component in it. The shank is a graduated 3/4 shank, so they break in nicely and conform to the arch right away... I have the standard strength, wich is more on the hard side, however... I shellac the box with several layers of shellac spray, so the platform & box lasts even longer...

PS: I wrote an enquiry to FREED, I was told ALL Studios shoes have about the same vamp length, and the the vamp of Studios Professionals V-cut is a tiny bit shorter in the middle, due to the "V" ;)
By Aurelia123
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 05:05 PM
Thanks Cara! Mystery solved! Hehe so glad you emailed freed!

Gracie, that sounds interesting. I use super thick silicon pads from this Taiwan brand called Ting dancewear so my box is definitely stretched for the padding but I never wear the shoes without such padding anyway so I guess it's fine! Thinking of getting the freeds gel pads to go with my next pair as they're much thinner.. I want to feel the floor more but I don't like feeling more pain!
By cara7
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 05:50 AM
Hi Aurelia! If you want to feel the floor, but need comfy pads, try GELLOWS by Pillows for Pointes.. they are by far the most comfy pads, even if they are VERY thin (much thinner than regular silcione pads, esp. in the tip). They are about as thin as Ouch Pouches, but are much comfier, as the gel is supersoft, jelly-like & "squishy"... it reduces pressure & shock very well. If you need some more padding in the tip, you can add Grishko mini silicone pads, they are also very soft and jelly-like and allow you to feel the floor:
www.grishko.com . . .
By Aurelia123
On Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:08 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Cara, I'll definitely try to find those pads here!
By cara7
On Mon Jan 11, 2016 02:55 AM
Hi Aurelia! If not, you can order in several US Dance Webstores, as many offer worldide delivery (e.g. DanceWearCorner). Make sure NOT to take SuperGellows, but the regular Gellows (available in S/M and M/L, according to length of toes). SuperGellows have fabric on both sides, which makes the pads less soft, they don't have this jelly-like, squishy feel and are thus less comfortabe in my opinion. The regular Gellows are seamless & reversible, I wear the Gel inside... (using talcum powder on the gel side extends lifespan). Hope you like them!
By cara7
On Fri Jan 15, 2016 01:15 PM
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-15 13:17:57
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-15 13:19:36
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-15 13:20:03
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-15 13:21:48
Hello, just wanted to say that I finally had the courage to cut the vamp of my almost brand-new FREED Studio Professionals V-Cut, and the result is great! (See photo, I shortened the vamp by 5mm). It was not as hard to do as I thought first (the Studios satin is quite stiff at the the throat and so partly a bit hard to stitch through by hand, but it was manageable) After ripping of the seam around the throat, I saw the foldover at the tip of the drawstring casing is only about 5mm, so one cannot shorten the vamp more than 5mm with this model as otherwise there would not be any material left to stitch back to the satin)... but it is already 50% better now, the throat does not cut into my foot that much anymore :) THANKS A LOT for this advice, really a great idea!

ReplySendWatch