Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Ballet - Adult Dancers
Katy Mata's Adult Class at Alonzo King's LINES
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2090, member since Sun Jan 11, 2009
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 02:10 PM

Hi Everyone -

It's been so quiet around here. I'm hoping it means that you're all busy in your dance classes.

I happened across a video of Kathy Mata's class for adults. It's at Alonzo King LINES Dance Center in San Francisco, California, and gives adult students a chance to perform. I almost fell over when they said the school offers 80 classes a week! I thought about the average one or two daily open classes usually offered and got a rush of jealousy ... or maybe it was a hot flash. No, it was jealousy ... I'm sure.

I thought I would post to "challenge and inspire" all of you (words used in the video).

Hope you all get a chance to encounter this level of instruction.

video.kqed.org . . .

4 Replies to Katy Mata's Adult Class at Alonzo King's LINES

re: Katy Mata's Adult Class at Alonzo King's LINES
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 07:06 PM
I am able to get a reasonable amount of classes by going to kids classes. Now you're going to make me jealous ...
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2090, member since Sun Jan 11, 2009
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 01:09 PM
I feel the same way. I thought I was getting classes.

I wish Katy Mata had been around when I was taking class. I would have been there trying to cram in as many classes as I could!

And not for nothing, some of those students are pretty good!

:P
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:22 AM
Kathy is a great ballet teacher! I have taken her classes many times and I really learn a lot from her! If you ever get a chance you will not regret it!
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 01:37 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2016-01-07 13:39:20
I've taken classes there many times!

I am so thankful to have amazing adult dance classes around me!

People from the San Francisco Ballet company end up taking open classes there as well. It is walking distance to the SF ballet, so there is a lot of overlap!

ReplySendWatch