Forum: Job Talk

30 minute tap class structure
By lmtdance
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 08:16 PM

I am teaching an intermediate/advanced tap class at a studio that is very well known for their contemporary and very weak at tap... It is only a 30 minute class and I'm struggling with my time management. By the time I get them warmed up, I'm struggling to get everyone across the floor a couple of times and there's no time for a combo. I have roughly 20-27 dancers in there. I try to go across the floor in groups of 3 so I can try to watch and listen to their feet. How do you all structure your class or do you have recommendations? I'm trying hard to bring them good technique so they will feel more comfortable, but I feel like we are really missing the mark.

7 Replies to 30 minute tap class structure

re: 30 minute tap class structure
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 08:39 PM
30 min is way too short for an advanced tap class.

One thing we did in a tap class I took in college was called (it was the second thing in our warm up )"Whole, Whole, Half, Half, Whole." It is a combination 8 counts the 8 counts is the "Whole" the first four counts is the "Half." You'd mix it up "Half, Whole, Half, Whole, Whole" or what have you. It gets you doing a combination while warming up. It gets your brain working too.

Do you warm up center or on the barre? I'd do a barre (used Al Gilbert CDs) then move center do something like I described above. Then across the floor.

But, you really need more time. Why is the class that short?
By lmtdance
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 09:23 PM
I always warm up center floor. No barre. I do a form of al Gilbert for my littles, but the older kids should be able to handle center warm up. The class is really that short to accommodate my schedule. I'm teaching at a different studio on the same night and to get me there, we had to shorten the time. Most are in another class directly after mine. I told her I need more time next year, but this year, it's what I've got, so I'm running with it.
By RileyA
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 01:21 AM
That is crazy, when I read 30 minute tap class I was assuming these kids were 3-4 year olds. Can anything be done to extend this!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 08:34 AM
Are they expected to perform a dance, or is this just a technique class?

And I'd argue that it's more like a low intermediate/high intermediate class. There's no way they're advanced on 30 minutes a week. :/
By hummingbird
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 09:35 AM
No wonder their tap isn't strong! That class needs to be longer especially with over 20 dancers in it.
By lmtdance
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:14 PM
It's a technique class, but there's nothing I can do about the class time this year. So, seriously, I want to give them what they deserve in the amount of time we have no matter how meager. Does anyone have any advice?
By SuncoastDance1
On Wed Jul 17, 2019 01:39 PM
Maybe change it up every class.
So week 1, spend most time at the barre.
Week 2 most time across the floor.
Week 3 most time combo.
Then repeat

ReplySendWatch