Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

First Summer Intensive Auditions in a Long Time... Help!
By sarahonpointe
On Tue Jan 05, 2016 09:08 PM

I'm 15 this year and planning on auditioning for two summer intensives this season: Ballet Arizona (my "safe" choice) and Houston Ballet (my long shot/most likely will be rejected choice). I have been working super hard this season and feel confident in my technique but can't help feeling scared since I havent auditioned for a summer intensive in a few years, and haven't actually been to one out of my state. I also have some anxiety regarding my body type, though I am not overweight and actually categorize as slightly underweight my legs are fairly short and I am only 5'2" to begin with. Does anyone have any advice/want to share their experiences with either Houston Ballet or Ballet Arizona? Anything helps!

1 Replies to First Summer Intensive Auditions in a Long Time... Help!

re: First Summer Intensive Auditions in a Long Time... Help!
By miareiland
On Wed Jan 06, 2016 06:59 PM
Hey! I haven't personally attended any of these programs (I will audition for Houston Ballet this year) but I would love to share less program specific advice!
Firstly, as long as you feel confident in your technique, you will do amazing in the audition! After all, an audition is not really that different than a regular class. There is an added dimension of being accepted or not, but try not to focus on that, because you cannot control the outcome.
Secondly, in most ballet schools, technique comes over body type, with the exception of the younger kids (6 or 7) at SAB, so try to focus on the things you can control, and the rest will usually follow. This way, you can walk out of an audition feeling that you had given it all you've got!
Hope this helps!

ReplySendWatch