Forum: Highland / Highland - Jig

Highland - Jig
Taps on jig shoes
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Thu Jan 07, 2016 08:50 PM

Are there any brands of jig shoes that still have the taps on the toe?

7 Replies to Taps on jig shoes

re: Taps on jig shoes
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 06:34 AM
Metal, or wooden ones? I know my jig shoes have an extra hard wood on the toe, harder than the heel wood even. I haven't looked at jig shoes in a while, do the new ones not have the wood at the toe? Or are you looking for shoes with metal at the toe? I don't think I've seen that.
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 09:24 PM
Any tap, really. Most of the ones I've seen people selling lately are just the plain sole, without any tap at all, not even the plastic ones (like the James Seniors, for example, which still have an old picture on the HighlandXPress site showing them having the slate taps, but I think tap-less seems to be the way they're made now? tartantown.com . . .). I don't think it's just that people are removing them to protect floors, either; I think they're actually being made tap-less now.
By cocacolakid Comments: 93, member since Sat Mar 17, 2007
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 02:34 PM
Edited by cocacolakid (175473) on 2016-01-09 14:40:50 spelling
The toe front piece used to crack--and they were removed. James Senior doesn't make them with that anymore. I bought one of my nieces' a pair more than 6 years ago and it did not have the front piece even then. Some of the new jigs have the fish scale look on the front to stop the slip sliding while dancing that happens.
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Mon Jan 11, 2016 06:45 AM
Interesting! It has changed a fair bit since I danced. My taps never cracked, but I had issues with the heels. They had those metal pieces on them, and the metal pieces would fall off. I had them replaced with wood with a small hole and put a penny inside. But the wood on the heels did crack a bit. The toes were fine, though! I think I could easily fix mine with a harder wood on the heels. But I see the heels still have the metal, at least on that one posted.
re: Taps on jig shoes (karma: 1)
On Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:26 PM
Unfortunately, I find that I (and from watching others, most people) tend to slide most on the heel-- notably in the heel digs to 2nd position, like in the Donnybrook and heel travel steps (it's hard to keep from slipping if you literally can't, because of the nature of the movement, get your weight directly over the part of your foot touching the ground, as is usually the method to keep from slipping). Most dramatic was a dancer I once saw slide about four to six inches on her heel during heel travel (I've done some "extreme heel travel" myself, but not quite that badly). If only we could get the manufacturers to put a tiny rubberized strip right on the back edge of the metal heel taps...

I'd rather omit rubber from the front of the shoe, to be honest with you. I've had too many times when shuffling too vigorously has wrenched my foot (because it catches on the floor), and would rather not wreck my foot or ankle some time when it happens *just* the wrong way... the possibility of which would be increased with grippy soles on the ball of the foot.
(Note that most tap shoes *do* have rubber on the ball of the foot right behind the tap, for the purpose of preventing slippage, while still allowing free movement of shuffles and such on the tap itself.)

(I'm not sure why the manufacturers would choose to remove the toe tap entirely, rather than trying to solve any issues they had with the material it was made out of, but I assume they had their reasons.)

highlandlassie wrote:

But I see the heels still have the metal, at least on that one posted.

I think James Senior now allows you to choose between the metal jingles, or ball bearings inside the heel. Some brands have a rubber or nylon heel now, or the option for same, I believe.
By highlandnorth Comments: 486, member since Sat Mar 21, 2009
On Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:55 AM
I'm with you Katja144 on the toe piece.
I recently tried to find my daughter shoes with the wooden toe piece and couldn't find any commercially available that were being made that way. I tried to see if anyone sold them as an add on (no luck) and also asked a shoemaker about making some (giving him an old pair to work from) and he wasn't comfortable doing it.
With respect to taps on the back, my kids took off their metal taps about 10 years ago because we went to a competition where they specified no metal taps. We've used rubber since then with no issues at all, and I see now that some of the commercial brands are switching over to rubber on their new shoes as well.
On Wed Jan 27, 2016 08:27 PM
I've wondered if one couldn't have a shoe shop put on a set of the metal toe lates meant for protecting shoes... pics:

union.tvst.com . . .

cdn.styleforum.net . . .

cdn.styleforum.net . . .

(I never knew these were a thing until I noticed some pipe bands "click" when they walk-- some ghillie brogues have heel protector plates. I wish I had these on all my shoes-- I'm so hard on my heels! But they're not quiet to walk in.)

The metal on jig shoes isn't a concern for me; I've never been to a competition where they're banned-- around here, if there was concern for the floors, I suspect they would just not have the jig at competition (we'll see how it goes this year with jig being a Premiership dance,though).

If it came down to it, I'd just tape over all the metal for that particular competition, but it probably makes more sense to take the metal off jig shoes if "no metal allowed" competitions are commonplace in your area.

ReplySendWatch