Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
I don't think my teacher is critical enough
By shadow31 Comments: 1, member since Fri Jan 08, 2016
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 07:21 PM

I had my first class a few days ago (I'm still thinking about it because I'm ridiculous) and I couldn't keep up at all. It was an adult class, I'm a teen by the way and it just moved so fast, I was dragging behind and doing all sorts of things wrong and generally embarrassing myself. But the thing is, my teacher & the other students in the class just kept saying you did okay/you did good and he didn't even say what I did right or wrong, just that I did OK and it's just got me thinking that they don't take me seriously because of my age or because I'm sort of a late starter. I have another class for teens specifically coming up in a few days at the same studio so I might do better there but it doesn't say what kind of skill level its at so I'm probably going to look like a dork there too. I guess the whole thing just makes me feel like there's no way for me to get good because those are the only two classes I can take there and theyre both way ahead of me, and all of the beginner classes or classes that have what they teach you & how good the students in it are written down are all for kids. I guess I'm just ranting now so I'll stop typing & basically I just feel like I can't/I'll never catch up.

4 Replies to I don't think my teacher is critical enough

re: I don't think my teacher is critical enough
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:17 PM
When I get a new, older beginner in my classes I like to let them get a feel for what their doing and the flow of a class before I start to dive in with too many corrections. It's not until at least the third class when I start to dive in with too many corrections and sometimes, depending on the dancer, it might be a little bit longer.
By MaiaRose Comments: 13, member since Fri Jul 03, 2015
On Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:03 PM
I take many classes alongside adult beginners (for a variety of reasons, like improving my technique, working to get rid of a bad habit, or even assisting the teacher).

Very, very new beginners (especially those that are older), often find the first ballet class intimidating. They are generally scared to go, and once they are in the studio, they find themselves behind the class and struggling.

Your teacher may be waiting for you to get used to the class format and the basics, before cracking down on you. This is to prevent you from becoming discouraged. And self discovery is not a bad way to learn, either. If you truly are developing bad habits, the teacher will be sure to step in. They're there to guide you, after all.

If there's something specific you don't understand, make sure to ask the teacher. This will show them that you're looking to improve, and may notify them that you're mentally ready to process constructive criticism.
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 08:07 AM
Wow, I just re read my post, I guess that's what happens when you've had a week of 12 hour days and it's almost bed time :) That second sentence makes no sense whatsoever!

It's not until at least the third class when I start to give corrections and sometimes, depending on the dancer, it might be a little bit longer.

No that makes a bit more sense!
By chancedtravels Comments: 2, member since Fri Dec 18, 2015
On Thu Jan 14, 2016 02:23 AM
I had my first adult beginner class the other day - all the other girls had been in that class for 3-12 months already. I haven't danced for 8 years and couldn't remember a thing/couldn't place my body correctly.

I got corrections on every exercise, and while at the time it made me quite anxious and self-conscious, and some of the other women seemed annoyed if I got it wrong - they were beginners once too, and I won't get any better without corrections!

ReplySendWatch