Forum: Advice / GLBT PG-13

GLBT PG-13
Genderfluid (Dancer
By MaiaRose Comments: 13, member since Fri Jul 03, 2015
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:15 AM

I'm dfab genderfluid, fluctuating between feeling masculine and feminine on different (seemingly random) days. This doesn't affect my social interactions much, since I prefer they/them pronouns full time. I don't disclose my gender very often, but I'm slowly becoming more comfortable with "coming out" to friends and family.

I experience mild gender dysphoria on my more masculine days, especially during my monthly cycle. It is so unbelievably uncomfortable, but I'm learning different strategies to cope (wearing my favorite "guy" clothes and cologne, sticking to my regular routine, staying as active as possible, things like that).

However, I also become more acutely aware of this feeling of discomfort on masculine days when I am at the studio. Wearing a leotard and tights, while necessary, can be very upsetting because it allows me to see my "wrong" figure. Also, the differences between the men's technique class and the technique I've learned only seem to highlight my "inadequacy".

Have any of you who are nonbinary, trans, or non gender-conforming felt similarly? Do you have any coping strategies?

1 Replies to Genderfluid (Dancer

re: Genderfluid (Dancer
By pureblacklily Comments: 29, member since Fri Dec 13, 2013
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 04:57 AM
I used to identify as genderfluid, and sometimes do still have masculine days or weeks.

I find it helpful to remember that there are men who learn female dance technique just because they want to, look at the trocks etc. Though, since I was a child I've always wanted to learn male dance technique, I always enjoyed the boys exercises in class more than the girls!

Try not to think of your body as right or wrong, because there are females who have very "masculine" bodies, and there are men with very "feminine" shaped bodies- it doesn't affect who they are inside. Does your studio have a set uniform? If not, could you wear dark tights on the outside of your leotard, instead of underneath, which might make you feel more ballet-man than ballet-woman? Don't think of yourself as inadequate, you're you and you don't have to fit into other people's stereotypes of what men and women should look like. It's far more important that you feel happy and comfortable just being you.

ReplySendWatch