Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Heel Slipping Off
By vivien_o
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 03:13 PM
Locked by vivien_o (267703) on 2016-01-16 17:57:33 Problem solved

I have an issue with the heel of my pointe shoes slipping off--it's gotten to the point where I've cut the heel portion out of my tights because only my bare skin is able to get a grip on the shoes. I've been doing that for a few months now, but it doesn't give the best look en pointe.

Is it an elastic issue? I'm currently using the mesh chacott elastic on my shoes, but it was an issue even before I started using mesh elastic--I had the same thing happen with normal elastic. Could it be the shape of the heel of the pointe shoes? I've got dance exams and auditions coming up and it'd be nice if I could present a more professional look. Would a bit of rosin on the heel of my tights help to grip the shoe better? My teachers all sound really "behind", i.e. my shank was dying and i asked if I could have help jet glueing it but they said that jet glue is only for the box (jet glueing the shank saved the shoes for performance, thank you very much).

Last year, at an audition, I had the heel of my pointe shoe fall off in the middle of a turn combination and I don't know if I should look to find a solution to this or to keep cutting a hole in the heel of my tights.

9 Replies to Heel Slipping Off

re: Heel Slipping Off
By hummingbird
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 05:30 PM
Yes, using rosin on your tights will help hold the heel in? But it might not be enough, only trying it out will tell you if it's enough.

Have you tried elastic sewn from the heel and around the front of your ankle? It's difficult to come up with many more ideas as you don't say how your elastic is sewn on already.

Jet Glue can work on shanks but it does depend on how the shank is degrading.
By balletmom42
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 05:32 PM
Have you tried finding pointe shoes with a narrower heel? There used to be shoes called "sleek fit" I think that were supposed to stay on better. Capezio makes Aerial with a narrow heel... Try to get to a professional fitter and see what recommendations they make. It's hard to change shoes/makers but sometimes that's what it takes!
By vivien_o
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 05:48 PM
My elastic is sewn from my heel and around the front of my ankle...I think I'll try finding a pair of shoes with a sleeker heel as soon as my current pairs die.
By MaiaRose
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 07:13 PM
Edited by MaiaRose (274263) on 2016-01-09 19:14:41 small correction
Rosin rubbed on your tights may help, but you could also try using a piece of nexcare waterproof elastic tape. Many girls I know use it for their toes so you may already have some. You can either stick the strip to your heel OR the inside of your pointe shoe.
Gaynor Minden heel grippers
By cara7
On Sun Jan 10, 2016 02:02 AM
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-10 02:03:01
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-10 02:03:46
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-10 02:04:58
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-10 03:19:20
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-10 03:19:46
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-01-10 03:20:14
Hi! I know that problem very well--- Just try Gaynor Minden Heel Grippers:

dancer.com . . .
They are made of rubber with textured surface, and you simply stick them into the heel. If it makes the shoes too small, you can cut them in half vertically and stick the halves in the heel with a distance of about 5-10mm, so it still creates friction & hold, but does not make the shoes smaller (s. drawing on instruction leaflet)

It looks very professional, and it even makes the heel look neat & tidy, as it reinforces the satin (which often bunches up) in the heel area and thus eliminates creasing :) I can highly recommend this solution, I never slipped you ouf shoes with heel grippers... if you still do, you can add some rosin powder...

PS: If the sticky tape loses adhesiveness, you can simply put a piece of wide double-sided sticky tape over it and cut it out along the edge of the gripper.
By mikochan
On Mon Jan 11, 2016 07:49 AM
I use same thing as cara17 explained.I like Gaynor Minden heel grippers, but it doesn't stick well.that is bad side.
By Aurelia123
On Tue Jan 12, 2016 05:48 AM
Hi there, wow I must admit I'm quite puzzled by how the heel of your shoes keeps slipping off! Must be extremely frustrating for you! Hmm, I'm thinking it might be an issue with the size/length of your shoes? Since you mentioned that your elastics are sewed on with both ends near the heel so the elastic wraps around your ankle when you're en pointe, the heel should be yanked tight against your ankle. But since it's still slipping off, the elastic might be too loose or long. Or the shoes are too long in size and there's extra space for your heel to slip out of.

Have you also tried sewing your ribbons further back? Mine used to slip off a lot until I shifted the ribbons really far back, until they're almost past the bony sticking out part of the ankle bone and about only 5-6cm from the heel. That solved the problem for me and I don't even need elastics with that pair now.
By swanilda338
On Wed Jan 13, 2016 06:17 AM
I had the same issue! I used heel grippers hairspray etc the one thing that really worked for me is putting double sided tape on the heel of my pointe shoes, it sounds weird but really works!!
By cara7
On Fri Jan 15, 2016 07:14 AM
@mikochan: If you find the GM heel gripper not sticky enough, have you tried placing them on a piece of good & strong double sided sticky tape and then cutting it out along the edge? So you can make them more sticky, esp. if they are used. So you can re-use them and don't have to throw them away when they lose adhesiveness.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed