Forum: Adults / Weddings

Weddings
Ceremony and Reception only - not the breakfast!
By Shhaan_Dmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1159, member since Wed Mar 03, 2004
On Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:35 PM

Hello everyone!

AHH I can't believe I am posting in this thread! I joined DDN as a wee 11 year old and now I'm nearly 23 and am getting married!!

We've been a bit backwards - I've not got the ring yet but were discussing, saving, budgeting and being realistic!

SO

I go to church and have a large group of friends!
I started doing a list and if I wanted all my friends/family/church family at the whole occasion I would have 120 and that's without my OH list!

SO

I wondered how easy it would be to invite people who are local I.e my church family and local friends to just the ceremony and the reception without catering for them?

I have been to a wedding in the past where it was ceremony only and then the reception was actually the next day! In which we went to,

I'm really struggling with this. We've looked at the possibilities of caterin for everyone but it's going to cost way more than we can afford.

I'm just looking for people's thoughts.

Can we send an evening invite and place on the invitation that they are also welcome to join us at the church?

I know my church family would expect to be at the church so maybe I need to discuss with some of them!

Just want to see what others have done!
Getting married in Scotland so outside and catering is not an option haha! We will get rained on!
Thanks
Shannon

4 Replies to Ceremony and Reception only - not the breakfast!

re: Ceremony and Reception only - not the breakfast!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Jan 10, 2016 01:37 PM
You could do lots of different things. If you have a luncheon wedding, then expectations for the size of the meal are lowered, and you can serve less. You can do appetizers only, then you also don't have to come up with as much. You can do virtually anything that strikes your fancy.

We did a day wedding, lunch was included in the price of renting the reception hall. Pick your choice of three entrees, out the door.

But you may also find in time that you start paring down the guest list too. Just about any way you go at it, buying dinner for 250 of your closest friends isn't cheap!
By Sumayah Comments: 6879, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Jan 10, 2016 03:38 PM
I went to a tea time wedding. The had the ceremony and then had hot tea and scones and cookies and little finger foods. Some cheese and crackers. You could also do something like that as a potluck, especially within a church group setting.

Also super congratulations!!!!
By Shhaan_Dmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1159, member since Wed Mar 03, 2004
On Sun Jan 10, 2016 09:06 PM
Thanks ladies

The kind of standard wedding set up here is

Ceremony 2pm

Then you usually wait around for a long time then evening meal, speeches then more waiting and then the dance!

Was thinking could do ceremony at 4 and talk to the hotel about doing "pot dinners" like chilli/pasta/lasagne/chicken/rice etc and maybe that would work out cheaper to feed everyone :)

Not sure the venue will allow us to bring in our own catering

Thanks ladies!
Good help
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jan 10, 2016 09:47 PM
We had an afternoon wedding and a finger buffet for the reception. It worked really well for our families and friends as there really weren't any hotels near the venue and most people had to travel back that day. We just went out in the evening with anyone who was staying over.

Many congratulations to you too.

ReplySendWatch