Forum: Adults / 20 Something

20 Something
Starting 3rd shift (Graveyard) on Tuesday, how to prepare?
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Fri Jan 15, 2016 02:35 PM

Hello all!

I wish there was a "general" adults forum because even though I'm in my 20's I feel like I would benefit from the wiser crowed haha.

So As the title states on Tuesday I am going to be starting 3rd/Graveyard shifts. Until now I usually work 3pm-11:30pm, but now I will be changing to 10:00pm-8:30AM

I covered a few hours on graveyard before (until about 3AM) and I was BEAT. So what can I do to prepare for this?

Usually I would say that I should try and get my body on the schedule before I start, but I'm currently on vacation so I can't do that :(

3 Replies to Starting 3rd shift (Graveyard) on Tuesday, how to prepare?

re: Starting 3rd shift (Graveyard) on Tuesday, how to prepare?
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2129, member since Sat Jul 20, 2002
On Wed Jan 20, 2016 08:26 AM
I worked night shifts for 4 years (7pm-7am). I always ate breakfast in the mornings like normal and dinner before work at nights, which is what worked best for my body. Some people like to do the opposite, so you may have to experiment and see what works best for you. I also got thick blackout curtains and a sleep mask so I was able to make my room into a dark cave and sleep better during the day which helped a lot. I could never sleep when the sun was beaming in. Try to make it as quiet as possible in your bedroom too. Best of luck! The first week I did nights I was physically sick because my body was so confused, but after that I adjusted and did fine :)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Jan 23, 2016 06:55 AM
Well here is some advice from someone wiser (I hope I am at least) that you wish to hear from.

If you can not start getting yourself on a different sleep schedule then you are going to have to tough this out a bit. That being said here are some things that might help.

1. Stay hydrated--Keep dringing good 'ol H2O. Don't do a lot of coffee, caffine, energy drinks, etc. I also would not take those "keep you awake 5-hr. energy thingy's also.

2. Try to eat well and stick with 3 meals a day.

3. When you get home in the morning, try to keep your bedroom very dark so it will be like night, and that way it will help you fall and stay asleep. Hopefully you live alone and not on a noisy street so you will be able to get some sleep. Tell roommates to try and respect your new schedule to keep quiet.

Those things should help.

When I was in school, (and even now in some volunteer public safety capacities I do things in ) I have done shift work. I just loved' the 3-11pm shift--that was the best, bar none!! I did my share of 11-7's (Dogwatch), and I found it very hard to get used to them. Depending on where you live, you may find that it is very difficult to get anything else done, as many (esp. small) businesses will be closing for the day just when you are getting up and out of the house. I would get home @ 7:30-8:00am, and sleep till about 2:00-3pm, and then find that by 9:30-10pm I had to start to be ready to get to work. Leave's only 6-7 hours free to do stuff and most places are closed then. But that was back in the '80's so hopefully not so much the case any longer.

Good luck with it. What are you doing? Healthcare or Hotel/hospitality work?
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jan 24, 2016 09:17 AM
I haven't done night shifts myself but my husband did them for years and now my eldest son does them too. My advise is also invest in a good quality blackout blind or curtains to keep your room dark whilst you sleep.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

ReplySendWatch