Forum: Competitions

Competition Questions: Updated! (Please help)
By iv_loves_pointe
On Fri Jan 15, 2016 05:49 PM

Hi everyone!
I posted on here a while ago regarding my first dance competition. I have a few more questions now that I have received the schedule!

So, I am a dance instructor at my studio (under 20 years old) and I will be competing a tap solo at KAR. My studio does not compete and I am the first one to ever compete. If my studio owner cannot make it with me, am I allowed to check myself in since I am a dance teacher? I listed myself on the KAR website as an instructor as well.

I am scheduled to perform at 1:27 pm Sunday. What time should I arrive?

For awards, does it matter what you wear?

Can I leave after my awards ceremony is over?

Do you go on stage as they announce your name, before, or after (for your entrance)?

Thank you so much! I'm nervous and excited to be competing for the very first time!

5 Replies to Competition Questions: Updated! (Please help)

re: Competition Questions: Updated! (Please help)
By Goldfingers_Girl
On Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:04 AM
As the competitive director and studio rep at my current studio, I have always signed in on behalf of the studio. Are you dancing in the professional division? If so, I'm sure it is acceptable for you to sign in as the studio rep. I, however; have not attended KAR, therefore; not aware of their policies.

I am scheduled to perform at 1:27 pm Sunday. What time should I arrive? Unless the competition has specified when they need your music, you should be fine to drop off the music and sign in a few hours before your scheduled performance time. I ask that my students arrive an hour and a half before their scheduled dance, however; because you are acting as the studio rep, I would suggest you arrive earlier.

For awards, does it matter what you wear? No, usually studios require that their students are in their "studio attire" or at least wearing their studio jacket/hoodie.

Can I leave after my awards ceremony is over? Yes, however; Don't leave if you believe you may be in the running for an overall award! :)

Do you go on stage as they announce your name, before, or after (for your entrance)? Wait for your name/entry number to be announced then enter the stage.

I hope this helps! Very best of luck! As a judge my main tip for first time competitors is to not the let competition backstage overwhelm you! Don't compare yourself to your competitors. Be confident, learn from the experience and have fun!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 16, 2016 01:30 PM
I am scheduled to perform at 1:27 pm Sunday. What time should I arrive?

I'd try to be in the building by about 11:30. Come with your hair and makeup done, so then you really just have to change your clothes. The competitions run ahead a lot, and this way, you'll have a way to know ahead of time. It also gives you a little time to sit in the audience, and get a feel for how it works, how people come on stage and go off, etc.

For awards, does it matter what you wear?

No. Most will be in something identifying them readily from their dance studio (a jacket or t-shirt), but you can wear anything you like.

Can I leave after my awards ceremony is over?

Yes.

Do you go on stage as they announce your name, before, or after (for your entrance)?

Do you start onstage, or dance onstage? Because that will inform that decision as well.
By iv_loves_pointe
On Sat Jan 16, 2016 06:46 PM
@goldfingers_girl thank you so much! So at Kar, if you are under 20 years old and a teacher, you are allowed to compete in the other levels. So I'm a little worried about not having my SO there, but I am a teacher so it should be okay I think??

For awards, I'll be making my own studio jacket to represent! Haha :)

Thank you so so much! Any more tips for a beginner would be appreciated!! :) I am so excited and nervous!
By iv_loves_pointe
On Sat Jan 16, 2016 06:50 PM
@Theresa

Thank you for the info! I will definitely get there early to get accustomed!

In terms of the stage, I start my dance on stage!

Thanks again!
By ImpactCAA
On Sat Feb 06, 2016 07:19 PM
Best of luck to you at the competition! Looks like Goldfinger covered most of the info. Yes, don't leave before the overall awards.

ReplySendWatch