Forum: Competitions

Tips on 5 year olds dancing in time with the music
By mm_dancer
On Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:04 PM
Edited by mm_dancer (222454) on 2016-01-19 23:09:43

Hello

This is the first year I have taught 5 year olds in a while, and I have them for two competitive dances. This is also the first year my studio has entered an entire group of 5 year olds into competition.

The girls are doing great, they know their dances well for 5 years old, the sturggle I am currently having with them is getting them to stay in time with the music. We have done many different exercises, talked about dancing to the words, dancing to the beat, I have clapped/counted and they can do it in time with that, and we have clapped/counted music together which they can do successfully as well, but they still dance ahead of the music a lot. (Especially when we pull in an audience to watch them) I am wondering if anyone has an exercises/tips on helping them stay in time with the music.

2 Replies to Tips on 5 year olds dancing in time with the music

re: Tips on 5 year olds dancing in time with the music
By nadine4
On Mon Jan 25, 2016 07:13 PM
I haven't ever put a group into competition unless they HAD the ability to dance in time to the music BUT it does seem as if you're doing all the right things to get try to get them to that point.

Maybe, depending on the size of your group, you could divide them into 2s or 3s or 4s to do the routine while the others watch. See if anyone picks up on the others not dancing in time. During that
time perhaps you could find ONE who actually STAYS in time, then alter your placement of the group so the others might be able to follow her/him.

Also, if you have use of variable speed you could speed the music up and slow it down WHILE they're dancing in order to force them to listen to the music. This has worked extremely well for me with older competitors - not sure how it might work with 5s.

Good luck!
Hope you find success!
re: Tips on 5 year olds dancing in time with the music
By mm_dancer
On Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:20 PM
Thanks, there are only 4 of them in the groups. One has excellent timing, one is decent, I had one sitting out sick this week and learned that she is the major culprit for getting them ahead of the music, and the last one is mostly a follower (on her own is fine timing but gets following whoever she is next to), unfortunately she placed next to the one that goes fast, so without her this week she was fine. I will spend more time with the one particularly fast one and hopefully get her to follow the ones that do stay on time.

ReplySendWatch