Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

ABT NY vs MCB
By lucyking
On Wed Jan 20, 2016 05:24 PM
Edited by lucyking (276340) on 2016-01-20 17:24:18
Edited by lucyking (276340) on 2016-01-20 17:24:52

Which one should my 13 yo dd should choose? If you share your hands-on experience in each SI that would be very much appreciated!!!
I heard MCB is not Balanchine anymore. So, currently both teach classic ballet.

2 Replies to ABT NY vs MCB

re: ABT NY vs MCB
By melissaga
On Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:28 AM
I would pick MCB because I feel an SI at that age is more than just the classes. At MCB, they get the full experience with dorms and group activities. For NY, you will need to get your own housing and there is just not the same sort of semi-camp frrling that they get from living in a dorm with a large group of people who are as passionate about ballet as they are.

Also, while MCB is not pure Balanchine style, I have heard it still has a strong Balanchine influence mixed with a Cuban influence. The Cuban style is heavily Vaganova with a bit of bravura. During the SI, it may depend on who is teaching the level on what sort of style she may be exposed to. ABT is classical, but with a heavy Cecchetti influence. They emphasize very clean technique.

As background, my daughter has been to ABT SIs a few times and trained for many years in their curriculum. She has a good number of friends who have been to Miami, including last summer. She also has friends who are year round there. She has taken classes in the Cuban style, done a Vaganova SI (Bolshoi) and Balanchine, which is what she now does year round.

Have you been to the Ballet Talk for Dancers message board? If not, you should visit there. It's a heavily moderated board with a lot of rules (do read them). They do not allow program comparisons so you cannot ask this sort of thing there, but you can read the individual program reviews from others who have to these programs.

Good luck with your choice! Dd has not even auditioned for the programs she is interested in yet!
re: ABT NY vs MCB
By S_H_A_O_
On Sun Jan 24, 2016 03:35 PM
Hi, I have attened both of the programs mentioned and I would definitely say MCBS would be the better option. I attened ABT NY when I was 13 and MCBS when I was 14. Of the two, I felt at Miami they had a much more hands on teaching method. I really felt like the teachers gave me insightful corrections, whereas at ABT I felt that they gave me more general corrections.
Also, as said in the other comment, MCBS has the dorm life experience, which I really loved. At ABT, I was never able to see my friends other than at the classes. Miami gave me time to make stronger friendships. Let me know if you have any more questions about either intensive!

ReplySendWatch