Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Ballet Austin vs. Oregon Ballet Theatre Summer Intensive
By MiaG
On Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:44 AM

I train at a professional ballet school and I auditioned for several summer intensives for this upcoming summer. I eventually narrowed down to two courses that would be the best for me. These are Ballet Austin and Oregon Ballet Theatre (OBT). Personally, I think OBT would be the best concerning with price and travel, but I am not sure how professional OBT is, and it is very important for me that I go to a course with good training. Austin seems slightly more professional, but I would be paying the same price as OBT for only 3 weeks instead of 4. Has anyone been to either of these courses? Is there anything you can tell me about them? I would really appreciate any information at all. Thanks!

11 Replies to Ballet Austin vs. Oregon Ballet Theatre Summer Intensive

re: Ballet Austin vs. Oregon Ballet Theatre Summer Intensive
By melissaga
On Tue Jan 26, 2016 09:02 PM
I'm not sure why you would think OBT is any less professional than Ballet Austin. I would consider them quite similar in those terms. Ballet Austin does have a well polished website for their SI, which is really great because so few do!

My daughter has been to Austin and she has several friends who have been to OBT. Different programs, but both with good training.

Have you spoken to your teachers? Perhaps they can guide you more. However, I think both are strong programs and I would opt for the one that will cost you less. Pointe shoes cost money and you'll likely want to do an SI next summer... save your money while you can.
By bambiballerina
On Fri Jan 29, 2016 06:02 PM
I have been to Oregon Ballet Theatre the past two summers and they helped me improve so much! It's a smaller intensive so I personally felt like there was a lot of individual attention given to the students in my level, which was really great. I love all the faculty and I feel like they genuinely care about your improvement. Highly recommend it! If you have any questions about the program or housing or anything feel free to ask me!
By lbcat
On Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:51 AM
Hi! I have been accepted to OBT level 4 this year. Is this a good level? I know that the levels go from 3-6 and there's still a chance I could be moved up to level 5 on placement day. Can you tell me more about the summer intensive and the level you were in? Thanks so much!!
By bambiballerina
On Mon Feb 01, 2016 04:53 PM
Yes! Level 4 is a good level and they will work you very hard! I was in Level 5 both times, the 2nd time I would have been in 6 but I had been working through an injury and since Level 6 is almost entirely en pointe, I had to stay in 5. But it still helped a bunch! In all levels you get to do a lot of classical repertory and sometimes Balanchine rep. Some of the teachers are tough but if you apply all their corrections and take their advice you will grow immensely. Technique is usually on flat but you have pointe every day. Hope this was helpful! Also the dorms are pretty nice and the chaperones are really chill (there's a Starbucks downstairs!) and the area is really nice. Hope this was helpful.
By lbcat
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:15 AM
Thank you so much! That was very helpful :) this isnt my first summer intensive at a bigger school so I realize it is harder to be in a higher level but do you know if there is a chance I could be moved up to level 5? What are the level 5 dancers like and what so they expect of them? I would say I'm pretty strong end pointe, we have two technique on pointe every week and I'm trained Balanchine. I would realy like to be placed in level 5 on placement day especially since you guys do pas de deux (correct me if I'm wrong). I understand that its not necessarily going to happen but was just wondering what they expect from level 5 dancers? Thanks so much!
By bambiballerina
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 06:58 AM
There isn't a placement day really, but if they see that you are above the other dancers in your level then they might move you up after the first week. It's happened a couple times before. I think the difference between Level 4 and 5 is strength en pointe. The pointe classes are a lot more difficult. Sometimes it's just a matter of age/maturity. If you have a lot of strength and control and your pointe work is more advanced, then there's probably a chance. The youngest people in level 5 were 14 (they were mostly year round students) but the range for the most part is 15-17. If you really feel like you're not in the right level then talk to the school director (Mr. Jones). He's really nice and will give you his honest opinion. Make sure to stand in the front of the class and soak up all the corrections you can. You'll get a lot more attention that way.
By lbcat
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 09:53 AM
Ohh I see. I'm fourteen and will turn 15 after the intensive ends. I'll do my best to demonstrate strength en pointe. I have one more question, what did level 5's do en pointe? I'm used to taking class en pointe but I have not done fuettes and I'm not the best at doing consecutive piroettes from fifth haha. Thanks so much, this information has been very helpful! Also I realize that there were lots of typos in my previous messages, sorry!
By lbcat
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 09:54 AM
Ohh I see. I'm fourteen and will turn 15 after the intensive ends. I'll do my best to demonstrate strength en pointe. I have one more question, what did level 5's do en pointe? I'm used to taking class en pointe but I have not done fuettes and I'm not the best at doing consecutive piroettes from fifth haha. Thanks so much, this information has been very helpful! Also I realize that there were lots of typos in my previous messages, sorry!
By lbcat
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 09:58 AM
By lbcat
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 09:59 AM
Ug I'm sorry it made me post the same thing three times.
By bambiballerina
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:50 AM
From what I remember we had pointe every day, after technique, and most days we'd have either rep, variations or pas de deux which was also en pointe.

ReplySendWatch