Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
I'm going to start lifting tomorrow.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Jan 24, 2016 08:34 PM

I'm just worried I'm going to embarrass myself at the gym.

I did some research and I'm going to do this program: stronglifts.com . . .

I've decided that if I can't squat the bar, I'll use a kettle-bell. If I can't do an overhead press with the bar I'll use a lighter pre-weighted bar. If I can't row the 65lbs, I'll try just the bar or kettle-bells. As for the deadlifts, I know how to deadlift. I'll try for the 95lbs if I can't I'll take off some weight.

Of course I mentioned I'm going to start doing weights and my mom starts on all that bull about women lifting and trying to tell me what to do. I've seen what women look like when they lift, and they look good. I just want to be stronger.

I'm keeping myself accountable by posting this.

7 Replies to I'm going to start lifting tomorrow.

re: I'm going to start lifting tomorrow. (karma: 1)
By shmcdona Comments: 857, member since Sat May 01, 2004
On Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:25 PM
Lifting weights is great, I love it. I just have one recommendation for you, please see a personal trainer or do an introduction to cross fit class to learn to lift weights properly. There is a lot of very specific technique to lifting properly to avoid injury: weight placement on the foot, angle of the knee, spine alignment, arm placement etc. Its hard to self correct. Think of it like learning dance, specifically pointe. You can cause and exasperate injuries if done wrong. Done properly it is awesome.
re: I'm going to start lifting tomorrow.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:23 PM
shmcdona wrote:

Lifting weights is great, I love it. I just have one recommendation for you, please see a personal trainer or do an introduction to cross fit class to learn to lift weights properly. There is a lot of very specific technique to lifting properly to avoid injury: weight placement on the foot, angle of the knee, spine alignment, arm placement etc. Its hard to self correct. Think of it like learning dance, specifically pointe. You can cause and exasperate injuries if done wrong. Done properly it is awesome.

I have worked with a trainer before, but used significantly lighter weight. I've done all of the moves in this program at some point in time with her but with a 20lb bar.

I've also been doing research and reading up. www.reddit.com . . .

At my gym I'd have to pay $72 for one session. Unless I'm really not feeling it (and I have the extra money) I will opt for that. There are a few trainers that I would trust to show me how to lift.
re: I'm going to start lifting tomorrow. (karma: 1)
On Mon Jan 25, 2016 05:30 PM
I decided to work with a trainer on Wednesday because I realized that I'm not sure how to use the equipment or what kind of protocols there are for using it. Won't hurt either to have them check my form etc.
On Sat Jan 30, 2016 01:57 PM
My form was great. I'm just weak. I'm meeting with this trainer again next week (he gave me a free session!), he's going to write me a "pre program" to work my way up to the strong lifts program. He suggested a few weeks using the machines then move onto the free weights, so my body can acclimate to handling the weight. I did bench 20, deadlift and squat 30lbs.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Jan 30, 2016 04:05 PM
Good for you, keep at it!
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Sun Jan 31, 2016 08:18 PM
My husband and I both did Stronglifts for a few months last year (stopped due to life events, may start up again at some point). I really liked it and was really proud of myself as I was able to lift more and more weight. A couple of pieces of advice:

1. You will plateau at some point. It happens to everyone, so try not to get discouraged. Just keep working at it, deloading if necessary, until you start to see progress again. It's very frustrating the first time it happens because as a newbie lifter, for the first several weeks it's all gains, and it makes you feel great, but as the weight increases, plateaus will become more and more common. Totally normal.

2. Form is everything. You already said you've had a trainer check your form, so that is great. As weight increases, it will be harder and harder to maintain good form, but let yourself fail before you let your form suffer. I had some trouble with this, let my form get sloppy on squats, and started having some back pain. Once I started focusing on form hardcore, I ended up having to majorly deload, which was super frustrating, and of course I also ran the risk of injuring myself.

3. Eating more will help you build muscle faster, but just focus on what your personal goals are. I was actually eating at a slight calorie deficit the whole time I was lifting because I wanted to lose some weight, and I still made a lot of progress, just not as much or as quickly as I would have if I'd been eating more. But if your main goal is to build strength, then you probably do want to eat more and especially focus on protein.

Oh, and as far as embarrassing yourself - You'll be fine. I actually got stuck on a squat once (couldn't stand back up after I'd gotten down to the bottom of my squat and had to sit down on the floor), and everyone was super cool about it. One guy ran over to make sure I was okay (I was fine, for the record; I was using a squat rack, so I just dropped the weight off me onto the rack), and another guy was telling me about how it's happened to him dozens of times. I felt like I was going to die of embarrassment at the time, but within five minutes, everyone was too focused on their own workout to even remember it had happened. We went to a pretty serious weightlifting gym, and everyone was incredibly nice and supportive of one another, even though I was lifting about 10% of what most of them were. When you see someone working hard and really giving it everything they've got, you can't help but be excited for them, whether they're lifting 5 pounds or 500 pounds. You'll do great!!

This is Jonelle, by the way. :) First post in like two years, and I changed my name, but it's me. Just in case you were wondering who the random stranger was commenting on your post, LOL.
On Sun Jan 31, 2016 09:29 PM
MarlaSinger wrote:

My husband and I both did Stronglifts for a few months last year (stopped due to life events, may start up again at some point). I really liked it and was really proud of myself as I was able to lift more and more weight. A couple of pieces of advice:

1. You will plateau at some point. It happens to everyone, so try not to get discouraged. Just keep working at it, deloading if necessary, until you start to see progress again. It's very frustrating the first time it happens because as a newbie lifter, for the first several weeks it's all gains, and it makes you feel great, but as the weight increases, plateaus will become more and more common. Totally normal.

2. Form is everything. You already said you've had a trainer check your form, so that is great. As weight increases, it will be harder and harder to maintain good form, but let yourself fail before you let your form suffer. I had some trouble with this, let my form get sloppy on squats, and started having some back pain. Once I started focusing on form hardcore, I ended up having to majorly deload, which was super frustrating, and of course I also ran the risk of injuring myself.

3. Eating more will help you build muscle faster, but just focus on what your personal goals are. I was actually eating at a slight calorie deficit the whole time I was lifting because I wanted to lose some weight, and I still made a lot of progress, just not as much or as quickly as I would have if I'd been eating more. But if your main goal is to build strength, then you probably do want to eat more and especially focus on protein.

Oh, and as far as embarrassing yourself - You'll be fine. I actually got stuck on a squat once (couldn't stand back up after I'd gotten down to the bottom of my squat and had to sit down on the floor), and everyone was super cool about it. One guy ran over to make sure I was okay (I was fine, for the record; I was using a squat rack, so I just dropped the weight off me onto the rack), and another guy was telling me about how it's happened to him dozens of times. I felt like I was going to die of embarrassment at the time, but within five minutes, everyone was too focused on their own workout to even remember it had happened. We went to a pretty serious weightlifting gym, and everyone was incredibly nice and supportive of one another, even though I was lifting about 10% of what most of them were. When you see someone working hard and really giving it everything they've got, you can't help but be excited for them, whether they're lifting 5 pounds or 500 pounds. You'll do great!!

This is Jonelle, by the way. :) First post in like two years, and I changed my name, but it's me. Just in case you were wondering who the random stranger was commenting on your post, LOL.

Thanks!

ReplySendWatch