Forum: Advice / Support

Support
suffered compression/burst fracture...losing everything I worked for...depressed...
By RulerOfTheArts Comments: 1186, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Thu Jan 28, 2016 08:22 AM

I am a 31 year old dancer who suffered a compression fracture of my L5 vertebrae a month ago. I was doing the leg press at my gym when it happened. I couldn't walk when it occurred..doctors took xray in emergency room and said everything came back normal. Two weeks later, finally got approved for mri and fracture was seen. We obtained the xrays taken at hospital and there was the fracture, plainly seen, and the docs missed it. I stopped all physical therapy once we knew that was actually making me worse and became bedridden. I'm wearing a brace. I am severely depressed. I am losing muscle and becoming flabby, and am seeing everything I worked so so hard for disappear every day. I know I have to keep up nutrition but I want to starve; at this rate I won't want to go back to ballet I'll be so ugly/flabby.

After a month I still have horrible pain and numbness/tingling in my legs. I do not know what the prognosis is. My life is very dark right now. Doctors can't tell me anything..aren't responding to me..giving me inadequate answers.

Looking into bone therapy since I have osteoporosis.

All I want to do is cry.

5 Replies to suffered compression/burst fracture...losing everything I worked for...depressed...

re: suffered compression/burst fracture...losing everything I worked for...depressed...
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Jan 28, 2016 01:05 PM
That's just crappy!! Hugs to you.

I was a little bit older than you are now when I had one of my worst injuries and couldn't walk without severe pain, so much so that I really didn't leave the house for about a year and it was so depressing. I can only imagine what you're going through with that sort of back pain though.
re: suffered compression/burst fracture...losing everything I worked for...depressed...
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:02 AM
Are you able to swim, maybe? That's non-jarring, non-weight bearing. That might give you something to do, so you at least feel like you're still in the game.

I was told at 15 that my knee injury was almost certain to guarantee that I'd never dance again, so I've been there, although on a smaller scale for sure. You can do it!
By miss_anna_dance Comments: 637, member since Fri Oct 21, 2005
On Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 AM
First of all - find a new doctor if they can't tell you anything.
2nd - it's on the xray plain as day? lawsuit
3rd - remember that if it's worth fighting for, you can get back to where you were... but it may take a lot of time.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know it's depressing. If you need to, seek therapy
By RulerOfTheArts Comments: 1186, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Fri Jan 29, 2016 07:31 PM
Many thanks to the 3 of you..you've lifted my spirits. I was thinking lawsuit...but I don't know if we have a firm case. Theresa, I want to swim but they are making me stay put for now.I'll know in 2 weeks when they retake my xray.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Jan 31, 2016 01:29 AM
A month is still early on. It took me the better part of a year to get over a back injury. I'll tell you right now, that first month was the absolute worst. :( I agree, if you are not getting the kind of care you want, seek a second opinion. Then, do everything they tell you. It comes back slowly. This is a setback, for sure. But try not to think of it as the end of all you've worked for. For now, rest.

kk~

ReplySendWatch