Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
Why are my center leaps so awful and what can I do?!
By oceanndust Comments: 20, member since Sat May 10, 2014
On Thu Jan 28, 2016 02:50 PM

I am 17 and I have been dancing for 2 years, so of course I learned center leaps ages ago. I can execute my left leaps perfectly fine and they look pretty respectable, and my right leaps are also just as concerning as my center leaps, but I have a center leap in my solo (center leap leaping towards the right and leaping towards the left, they're both just as bad) so that is more of my focus right now. I for some reason CANNOT stop doing that "teeter totter" thing, where one leg goes up and then the other. The only way I have found to stop it is to keep my legs lower (like as low as a glissade, that's the only way), but my legs are already horrendously low even when I try to kick them up the highest they will go, which also does not make sense to me because I have my middle splits and can touch my chest all the way to the floor in a straddle. So the flexibility is there. And I feel like the strength is there as well because I am always doing hip flexor strengthening exercises. So I have no idea what the issue is! How do I get my legs higher (AT LEAST 180, or AT LEAST close to it, because right now my legs aren't even close to it!!) and how on earth do I stop the teeter totter effect going on? I always try to think "jump straight UP and not travel out" but it still does me nothing. I try to use my plié. I think I know all the technique of it, so I am extremely frustrated as to what is going on. My legs are honestly probably only at a 90 degree angle away from each other when I try to go my highest, and that makes me feel terrible considering I'm not a beginner dancer. So I don't understand what's going on.

ReplySendWatch