Forum: Highland / Highland - Jig

Highland - Jig
Question: Jig shoes too small - Should I stretch them or buy a size up
By plaidbow Comments: 3, member since Thu Jan 28, 2016
On Thu Jan 28, 2016 04:16 PM

I've had difficulty finding a pair of Jig shoes that fit my feet. This isn't terribly surprising, as I've had to try on multiple brands and sizes of ghillies to find a good fit in the past. By way of background, I'm a 30-year-old Novice dancer with one stamp left, preparing for Intermediate. I'm a tiny adult, 5'2" with feet that fit in kids size 3.5-adult size 5.5 (US size) street shoes. With my kid's sized feet, I was hoping to be able to purchase used jig shoes for a decent price. I bought some from a friend in size 4, but the more I practiced in them the more I realized they were quite a bit too large. Fortunately, they fit my sister well and she bought them from me. As the 4's were quite a bit too large, I purchased 2 pairs of size 2's from one of the local teachers, one used practice pair and a nicer new pair for competitions. I thought they fit well, since they fit like new ghillies, but they have proven painfully tight when I attempted to dance in the practice pair. The new pair is even tighter. I Googled stretching tight leather shoes and tired a few things on the practice pair, but I've had no success with wearing them around the house, blow drying them while wearing them with thick socks, or sticking them in the freezer full of Ziplock bags of water. Any suggestions? Is it time to list them for sale and hope a size 3 actually fits me?

2 Replies to Question: Jig shoes too small - Should I stretch them or buy a size up

re: Question: Jig shoes too small - Should I stretch them or buy a size up
By kinsidhe Comments: 248, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Fri Jan 29, 2016 06:49 AM
Hi,

I am and adult dancer with the same height and same foot size as you-though I would hazard a guess that my foot is much wider than yours as they are unusually wide feet. :). I've had to try many brands of gillies as well as jig shoes for my feet. So I understand your frustration-I've been through 5 pairs of jig shoes alone trying to find something to work for me. ( I wish they had 1/2 sizes in Jig shoes!)

Assuming your feet are a more normal width ( medium to narrow) and it is the James Seniors jig shoes you are trying; I would recommend going up a size. A three should do you nicely ( they would have been perfect for me, except for my added width issue). The jig shoes will stretch a bit, but they wont stretch as much as gillies and if the practice ones are already used and still too tight it sounds like a slightly bigger size is what you need. Squashed feet wont leave you dancing your best and it takes the fun out of it-I say this from experience. :)

Just thought as well-if the practice shoes are just a 'little' too tight-have you tried removing the insole? Even that small amount of extra room can help. Might be worth investigating with the one used pair.

Congratulations on moving into intermediate. Have fun with it! :)
re: Question: Jig shoes too small - Should I stretch them or buy a size up
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:46 AM
I've never had luck with stretching jig shoes, the leather is thicker. You might try shoe stretch spray. I found some on Amazon. If that doesn't work you are best off to go up a size and sell the others to finance the new shoes.

ReplySendWatch