Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Highland - Adult Dancers
Age Discrimination
By Snirst Comments: 16, member since Sun Dec 21, 2014
On Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:42 PM

Has anyone ever been denied entry to a competition as a pre-premier based on age?

4 Replies to Age Discrimination

re: Age Discrimination
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:42 AM
No I have not in the US. I notice Scotland has some 16 and under comps but when I contacted one of the smaller ones to ask, they said they would make an exception. I am 45.
By fusilli Comments: 31, member since Sun Oct 06, 2013
On Sat Jan 30, 2016 04:05 PM
A number of the outdoor games in Scotland are under 16 for all pre premier. I was more disturbed at teachers openly refusing to teach adult beginners. Sobhd schools are particularly bad at this, and they don't take entries from anyone not in their dance schools so in practice it's really hard for an adult to compete. They only care about kids and world champions it seems.
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Sun Jan 31, 2016 06:25 AM
I've heard of this, mainly here on Ddn, but never experienced it in Canada. I personally have taught students over 30 and had no issues with them competing wherever they wanted in any level.
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Mon Feb 01, 2016 07:10 AM
I've never seen this-- though I've seen, of course, teachers that won't take an adult dancer (or, have classes that start in the afternoon when a lot of people are at work, which essentially nets the same result)-- though I recently saw a competition with a pre-championship that had "21 and under" as its oldest group (or so the entry form said. I never checked to see if it was actually the case). I assumed that if it was true, they probably figured that by the time you're over 21, you should be beyond pre-championships... except some of us didn't START dancing until we were already too old for that group!

ReplySendWatch