Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

CPYB or Kirov SI?
By DanceMom808
On Sun Jan 31, 2016 04:15 PM

My 16-year-old daughter has been accepted to CPYB and Kirov so far. Which SI would you choose and why?

4 Replies to CPYB or Kirov SI?

re: CPYB or Kirov SI?
By chocolate12
On Sun Jan 31, 2016 06:05 PM
CPYB. It is one of the only intensives where the sole focus is ballet: there are three technique classes a day and one pointe class and maybe parterning depending on level. Kirov is known for injuries.
By LuciQ
On Mon Feb 01, 2016 03:18 PM
I fully agree. I know very little about CPYB, but Kirov I know a lot about. A girl at our studio went to Kirov for SI and then was offered a scholarship for the year round program which she attended as well. She is an amazing dancer (obviously to be offered a scholarship for both SI and year round), but she lost her confidence there and had 3 serious injuries. She didn't return there for her senior year and isn't sure if she wants to dance anymore because of her experience there. They even told the girls they were fat and stupid. This girl is 5'8 and weighed 115lbs! So, no, I would never allow my daughter to go there.
By MeaMSBMD
On Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:34 PM
CPYB is amazing; I spent three years there and would give anything to be able to go back! If you have the opportunity to go to CPYB, definitely go. The only reason, in my opinion, to go to any summer program besides CPYB, would be if that summer program is connected to a year round school or professional company that you're interested in. As for Kirov, it was the first ballet school I ever went to and I was very disappointed. I believe that, similarly to the joffrey summer programs, Kirov's intensive is geared towards making money and little else. The training is not worth the cost.
By lbcat
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:11 AM
Everyone gets into CPYB, they don't reject anyone. HOWEVER it is equally as hard as any other summer intensive to get into a high level at CPYB. From what I've heard, it's an excellent program and there's a huge, huge emphasis on technique and proper placement. The main focus is on ballet and I don't think there are many other classes such as modern and jazz. Kirov is a highly distinguished school and it's so great that your daughter got in!! Kirov is hard to get into, and also a great program. I would talk to people who have been to these programs so you can figure out what's best. :)

ReplySendWatch