Forum: Job Talk

How do you deal with students leaving to go to other studios?
By teacher4life
On Sun Jan 31, 2016 08:22 PM

We've gone through this a couple times, older students leaving to go to another studio, but it never gets easier, how do you deal?

Our situation is that we are a small town with a decent sized school, but not enough students to be super selective about who is on our teams, or all of our teams would be only two or three students and we like to give as many hard working kids an opportunity to compete if we can. Our kids do well at competitions, but we aren't one of those huge powerhouse schools, so when our best kids start to really shine above the rest of their peers, they go into the bigger city and attend one of those power house schools. After leaving our former students do well there, they get solos and are in the highest levels, so they clearly have good training, but that only makes me feel better for a little while, it still hurts to lose those kids you've taught for 10+ years and have begun to feel like your own kids.

So, looking to hear from others who have experienced similar situations, how do you cope?

3 Replies to How do you deal with students leaving to go to other studios?

re: How do you deal with students leaving to go to other studios? (karma: 1)
By hummingbird
On Mon Feb 01, 2016 06:48 AM
Can you give them the level of work they're looking for?

If you can't then you have to be able to know when to let them go and be happy for them that they're doing so well.
re: How do you deal with students leaving to go to other studios?
By Tagal1954
On Fri Oct 11, 2019 02:45 AM
Well, I am a dance teacher and I can feel that feeling when students leave my studio and go to other studios but it is their thinking and they can do what they want. Well, As a teacher I always help my students with their all queries rather it is connected to dance class or anything else. Once , one of my student asked me for some help for his writing work in schools and I suggest him about the my assignment help nz and when he tried that service for his assignment work of his class, he was very happy and I liked that. So, I never say anything to my students for their own decisions.
By TgthsouthPremium member
On Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:42 AM
I have ran a studio for over 10 years and I have seen some students leave to go to other studio's. Some I did not want to leave however most need to go and experience a different type of studio. It was like they out grew us or they just needed to go because if they stayed they became toxic. I have also noticed that some teachers are not good for certain classes.
By tornteacher
On Wed May 06, 2020 10:57 PM
I see this from multiple angles(teacher that switched studios, friend of parents whose children switched studios, and former dancer). I would try and remain positive, and never speak poorly about anyone that leaves. The studio I came from basically black balled you after you left- would talk crap about you, give you dirty looks at festivals, etc., and not just the teacher! She’d teach the students that mean-ness. Graduated don’t come back often bc they are not warmly received. It truly makes a difference. Another studio, not as great, the director always greeted people with a smile, even guest students visiting from other studios. She even welcomed students back if they wanted to come back.
By jennifercasey
On Mon May 18, 2020 07:34 AM
I think it's a matter of the person. Of course, it makes you feel bad about that, but we can't know why they've decided to do that. It may concern the location, personal drama, money, and so on. I've also changed my dancing school because I haven't had enough money to pay for it. Now I work as a writer for artscolumbia, free essays platform, and can afford to visit my favorite school. I think that artscolumbia.org . . . is beneficial for me because I have the opportunity to pay for my hobby and also get to know new things. It's great. So don't be so upset due to that fact, just like what you do)

ReplySendWatch