Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Funding for SI
By LuciQ
On Mon Feb 01, 2016 03:21 PM

I am wondering if anyone else has trouble affording SI's? If so, how do you pay for your child to go to one? My daughter is 15 and very talented. She was offered a partial scholarship to Pittsburg Ballet, but I don't have the money to send her even with the partial scholarship. I contacted the school to see if they offered a 2 week option, but unfortunately they do not:(

2 Replies to Funding for SI

re: Funding for SI
By S_H_A_O_
On Fri Feb 05, 2016 08:25 PM
Hi, first off, congratulations to your daughter! While, I have never needed to raise money for a SI, I do have a few suggestions. Just something I do very often is go through my dancewear and get rid of any leotards I don't want/need. Selling them on ebay is the efficient way to sell them. Also, many dancers I've known start their own campagin on GoFundMe. Basically, people can help you to raise money. It definitely works better the "bigger" your name is, meaning you'll definitely want to promote yourself in order to raise more moeny, which is why I don't necessarily suggest this option. I would also see if smaller things could be done such as fundraisers. Some dancers I've known have started small business such as babysitting and car washing, which can raise a lot of a money very quickly. Obviously all of these options are fairly time consuming, so they may not all be able to be done. I would definitely have your daughter try to babysit or do a simple job like that. Hope this helps and good luck to her!
re: Funding for SI
By melissaga
On Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:53 AM
There are also programs that do offer financial aid. Does PBT offer financial aid at all? I would call back and ask about that as well. Did she audition for other programs? If so, inquire about aid at those as well.

As a rough estimate, I generally budget about $500 per week for tuition and about the same for room and board. Some are a bit more, some programs are a bit less. Of course, there is also transportation to get to any SI, leos depending on the dress code and pointe shoes. Most programs are 5 weeks long, so you can estimate costs without any help. I don't know if PBT is in that ball park or not, but most have been over the last 6 years that we've been in this game with dd. Scholarships are not that typical for girls and tend to be only partial, at least in our experience. And, some programs do not even offer scholarships at all to girls!

I think it is very difficult to ask others to pay for something like this via a Go Fund Me type page. If you go to that site, you'll find dozens of people looking for the same help. :(

Does she have good training available at home for the summer? If so, going away at 15 is not truly critical, especially if it is going to affect your family finances so greatly. It is more important to go away later, if she would be looking for a company training position or the like. Save the money so this can be a possibility later. Also research programs on their websites and on Ballet Talk for Dancers to see which programs have financial aid and which ones do have larger scholarships available for the future.

ReplySendWatch