Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Guys in Ballet
class progression
By bluestorm5432 Comments: 5, member since Sun Aug 16, 2015
On Tue Feb 02, 2016 04:02 PM

In May I will complete one year of Adult Begginer Ballet class. I am currently taking Adult Begginer ballet class for the 2nd time. The class is a formal class with a syllabus.

Some background about me is I'm in my early 20's and have never dad dance before this. I enjoy ballet and I think I'm progressing well.

What is the next step I should take? Ie. Continue taking begginer until I get exhausted of it. Advance in the classes. Take up a dance minor. Or what ever else you guys think.

2 Replies to class progression

re: class progression
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:51 AM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2016-02-05 00:53:06
Congrats on taking up ballet successfully! You're fortunate to have access to syllabus classes, I gather. What is the curriculum like in your 'adult beginner' program? Is it easier for you to do the second time through I wonder.

Are there any follow on syllabus classes available at the next level for you to enroll in? Otherwise you are looking at taking open drop in classes I think.

I would recommend, as a supplement, studying (reading up on) ballet technique books to become more familiar with terminology and expressions that will aid in your understanding of what you are exposed to practically in the studio, especially transitional, linking movements like pas de bouree, temps lies, etc. which are used in allegro enchainements. You gradually build up your 'vocabuary' of ballet building blocks over the years of training and learn how to express things balletically.

You'll probably want to aim to start learning actual 'dances' or simple variations (solos, choreography) that utilize the moves you practice at the barre and in center. Ideally, seek out opportunities to perform once in a while.
re: class progression
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Fri Feb 05, 2016 03:45 PM
Are you in a university setting? Your instructor should be asked about this. He/she could tell you if you are ready to advance.

ReplySendWatch