Forum: Advice / Ask a Judge

Ask a Judge
please HELP!!!
By DepressedDancer Comments: 3, member since Tue Feb 02, 2016
On Tue Feb 02, 2016 05:36 PM

I am 17 years old, and have been dancing for almost 5 years now. I have dreamed of being on a competition team since the very first time I took a class. I love dance more than I have ever loved anything in my entire life. I have several medical conditions that cause me to have pain caused by stress. And because I have wanted so badly to compete, I have pushed and pushed and pushed myself to the point where I would get sick and throw up for hours the day after dance. Or I would come home crying because I was in so much pain, It would last for hours at a time. I want it so bad that I stress myself out. It also doesn't help that I was bullied for about a year and a half before this season. I was made fun of behind my back. The last two times I auditioned for team was at my old studio, and I was told that I just wasn't good enough. In July I switched to a new studio, but I have been having a really hard time with stress from the change. I lost all my friends from the past 4 and a half years, and that sent my depression and stress over the edge, which has caused me to miss several classes. The main teacher says that everyone has a chance to make the team, but thats what everyone says. I am dancing with the level three girls (highest level) and almost all of them are on the team. I am terrified that I might not make the team, because of my absences and because no one can really understand my health situation. I want this more than anything in this world. I only have one more season that I can compete on this team I think. All the level three girls are really really good, and even though i can keep up with them and can do most of the things they can, I still feel stressed because I struggle terribly with my flexibility, and i dont have the same technique as them because they have been dancing at least twice as long as me. I really need encouragement. and advice. should I find something new? or should i stick with it? I want to be a dance teacher when i grow up, but how can i if i never compete.

2 Replies to please HELP!!!

re: please HELP!!!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:13 PM
Oh my gosh, there are bajoodles of dance teachers that never competed a single day. I grew up mainly doing clogging, and cloggers run their own competitions. I never did Kids Artistic Review, or Showbiz, or any of the other competitions that my son does on the regular. Not only am I a dance teacher, but I teach the beginners at our studio! It's my job to start the kids everybody else puts on the competition team! Not having won a Platinum award for some random Contemporary number doesn't affect your love, your passion, and your ability to pass dance on to the next generation of dancers.

Talk to the studio owner. Explain to her that you want to do this, that you're passionate about it, but that you have some trouble with your anxiety. It doesn't guarantee that you get a spot on the team, but it does let her know what's going on, so she can work with you. And that's EVERYTHING.
re: please HELP!!!
By Kittydoodles Comments: 76, member since Sun Sep 14, 2014
On Wed Feb 03, 2016 08:26 AM
Edited by Kittydoodles (269987) on 2016-02-03 08:27:55 Realized this is wrong forum
Hey there! I have anxiety too, and I feel like a lot of dancers go through that at some point in their lives. I am not a competition dancer (I'm mainly ballet), but I don't believe all dance teachers have had competitive experience. If you're 17 and have been dancing that diligently for that long, you may want to focus on colleges with dance programs (and maybe dance teams). Remember to relax and give yourself some TLC. I know that as dancers it's very easy to get caught up in our weaknesses, but from what you've told us, it sounds like you've made serious improvement. Sometimes I like to watch old performance videos to see how far I've come. It's a good excercise in self esteem and encouragement. Hang in there, and good luck!

Sorry, I'm not a judge, just realized this is under ask a judge. You guys can take this down if need be :)

ReplySendWatch