Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

CPYB and Miami City Ballet
By BalletIsMyLife45
On Fri Feb 05, 2016 02:56 PM

Has anyone been to both or either MCB or CPYB? I already know a lot of information about both programs, I was just wondering which one you personally preferred and why? Thanks!

2 Replies to CPYB and Miami City Ballet

re: CPYB and Miami City Ballet
By S_H_A_O_
On Fri Feb 05, 2016 08:17 PM
I have attended both of these intensive and loved both of them. They both have very different things to offer, so when it comes to preference it all depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for more a technique based intensive with a strong focus on just technique, then I would highly recommend CPYB. CPYB is definitely the place to go if you're looking to gain technique. MCB offers more types of dance such as jazz, modern, etc. They also have rehearsals for a performance at the end, so you're able to get a more diverse program. Although it's not as extremely focused on technique as CPYB, I still came back as a much better dancer. Outside of the dancing part, MCB obviously is located in a more "fun" city. I was able to go walk around Miami anytime which was nice, but if you're younger I wouldn't recommend it, given Miami isn't the safest city. CPYB was a VERY small town, but it included everything you would need. One this I liked about CPYB was the campus. The campus had a theater, a bookstore, a small grocery store, etc. In Miami, a lot of the things you would want you would have to go on a Target run, which would take a few hours just to get basic groceries and such. Honeslty it would be hard to pick which on I preferred because they both offerred assets. For me, I would personally prefer MCB because it had more of a Balanchine style to it, and it also allowed me to be exposed to a pre-professional ballet school. Hope this helps!
By BalletIsMyLife45
On Fri Feb 05, 2016 09:15 PM
That's really helpful, thank you! A couple more quick questions. Did you prefer the ballet teachers at one program over the other? Also, did you feel that your flexibility improved more at one program than the other?
By DDS
On Tue Mar 29, 2016 08:13 AM
I have been to CPYB (in my younger days), but I have had students attend both programs. CPYB does produce stronger, better dancers. If offers many many many hours of dance per day and lots of ballet. I heard from one of my MCB students that they sent home a few students after they arrived with a 'sorry, we made a mistake, you are not strong enough for our program'. They were offered a refund and to go home or stay and take the adult recreational classes. This story comes to me via a parent, but I have been cautious ever since.
By S_H_A_O_
On Sun Apr 03, 2016 02:34 PM
Hi, teaching wise, I would say both had wonderful teachers. I wouldn't be able to choose a better program! Flexibility wise, I would say neither of them was "better". They focused on more technical aspects of dancing, and the flexibility part was just applying the corrections. But definitely the decision between both programs would be difficult. Miami also has a bigger reputation, which attracts more technically proficient dancers. Sometimes when I'm dancing with amazing dancers I push myself more than if I'm in a room with dancers all at my level. So, that may also be something to decide. Hope this helps! If you go to either program this summer let me know as well!

ReplySendWatch