Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
Becoming a tutor-but I don't want to go to people's houses
By DancingAngel925member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1120, member since Sun Nov 28, 2004
On Sat Feb 06, 2016 08:37 PM

Hello

I want to become a French tutor, since it's probably the only thing I can do with my degree right now.

Any job posting I look at says in-home tutor needed. I really don't want to go into stranger's houses (and this would make hubby uncomfortable too).

Is it ok for me to apply to these jobs anyway? What would the company think of me if I said I prefer to tutor in a library?
Thanks

2 Replies to Becoming a tutor-but I don't want to go to people's houses

re: Becoming a tutor-but I don't want to go to people's houses
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sat Feb 06, 2016 09:37 PM
Hi! Kudos to you for sharing such a beautiful language!

Here are a few of brainstormed thoughts off the top of my head:

1. As you are offering the tutoring I would think that you would have some control as to where/how/when the sessions would be offered, as well as what fees to charge.

2. As far as facilities, I've both used and seen the local library used for tutoring, testing, groups, etc. My local library actually has small rooms available, but I've also seen people tutoring quietly at tables that are sort of "out of the main traffic area." Additionally, I would urge you to make use of the local institutions as well. Try calling the Academic Scheduling office to see if you could use a room, maybe in the late afternoons or early evenings, or during an off-time (just make sure Facilities knows).

I've witnessed tutoring sessions in coffee shops. Where I live we have our noisier Starbuck's and our quieter Starbucks. I once overheard a quiet Spanish session at the local Peet's Coffee and tea.

In sum, I feel that as you are teaching you have most of the control, and you should have the ability to utilize that control where you need to.

Hope this helped.

~s~.
re: Becoming a tutor-but I don't want to go to people's houses
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sun Feb 07, 2016 07:47 PM
I would say it probably would not hurt to respond to those ads and say you would be happy to tutor but prefer it would happen in a library.It is harder for parents that way because they have to drive the kids but maybe if people are especially looking for help with AP Tests or something (which are in May so preparation is now) a lot of older high school students drive themselves. Though I"ll admit all my tutoring experiences whether Math, SATs, or GREs happened at my home. And then for awhile I went to a Spanish tutor, at her home. That was a complete convenience issue as I didn't have my own car. Perhaps after meeting the family and working the kid in the library you would then me more comfortable in their home. (you could also ask if they have a car or dog and claim to be allergic if you still don't want to go to houses after meeting).

ReplySendWatch