Forum: Highland / Highland - Theory

Highland - Theory
batd grade 1 highland exam - what theory is involved ?
By Susie2007 Comments: 2, member since Tue Feb 09, 2016
On Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:29 PM

Hello, can anyone tell me what's involved in the theory section of the BATD Grade 1 highland exam? My daughter has been given conflicting information as to what is involved and is now extremely worried about sitting her exam. If anyone could help, I would be very grateful.

3 Replies to batd grade 1 highland exam - what theory is involved ?

re: batd grade 1 highland exam - what theory is involved ?
By comp_genius Comments: 158, member since Sat Mar 11, 2006
On Tue Feb 09, 2016 09:07 PM
I'm currently preparing a few students for a grade I theory exam! For grade I theory, students are required to demonstrate 5 feet positions, arm positions, and the two head positions.

They also need to demonstrate grouping of the fingers, bow, hop, spring, round the leg, shedding, toe & heel, PDB, spring points, springs from foot to foot, rocks, open PDB, and high cuts.

Students don't need to be able to describe the above positions and movements until grade II theory, so she shouldn't have to worry about that (though I do tend to start preparing my students to talk early, as it can be a big jump in grade II). Usually the grade I exams have been fairly relaxed. Last year, our examiner counted in students for all of their movements and instructed them on how many times they should do each movement.

Is there anything specific that is worrying her? I can probably answer more specific questions about the exam if you have them.
By Susie2007 Comments: 2, member since Tue Feb 09, 2016
On Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:51 AM
Thanks so much. She's happier with that, and says she knows the theory for Grade I that you've spoken about. She's in with students doing grade II who were talking about the theory on aerials, rears, positions for rocks ... None of that makes sense to me as I'm not a dancer, so I don't know if the terminology is correct, but she was really worried as she didn't understand. Thanks so much for answering me. Much appreciated.
By JustDancing4Fun Comments: 601, member since Mon Nov 13, 2006
On Thu Feb 11, 2016 09:33 AM
I suggest parents to buy the Highland Text book if they're doing any type of Highland Theory. You'll need it anyway for doing Grade 2 Theory when they're explaining.

ReplySendWatch