Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

wait listed
By dance567and8
On Wed Feb 10, 2016 01:53 PM

I went to pnb last summer and got wait listed this year. My city was one of the last they auditioned at. Has anyone ever been accepted after being on the waiting list? Im so discouraged:(

5 Replies to wait listed

re: wait listed
By S_H_A_O_
On Wed Feb 10, 2016 07:23 PM
I'm sorry :(. But just wondering, which location did you audition at?
By dancerxiv
On Thu Feb 11, 2016 07:06 AM
One of my students was on a waitlist for a summer intensive and still got in. Don't give up :)
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 11, 2016 07:28 AM
You have to remember that lots of dancers apply to multiple SI's and if they get accepted to more than one, they will choose one, and spaces will open up at other locations.

I'll cross my fingers for you.
By dance567and8
On Thu Feb 11, 2016 01:15 PM
Columbus,my level was full.
By S_H_A_O_
On Thu Feb 11, 2016 01:27 PM
Just wondering, what level was it? Sorry for all of the questions but I'm still waiting for my results and I'm just trying to see what my chances of getting or not getting in were.
By lbcat
On Wed Mar 09, 2016 09:43 AM
I also got wait listed for a program, I have not heard back from them yet but I know that a lot of people who get wait listed still get in. A surprising amount of people turn down PNB for other places they get into so a spot might open up for you! It's still an achievement to get wait-listed for a prestigious ballet school especially because it was the last stop and they had a limited amount of spots!
By SarahElizL
On Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:13 PM
Don't be discouraged! I have known people to be waitlisted for PNB and still made it into the program! I also have a friend who has more inside contact at PNB, he told me that they (at least used to) take a certain amount of people per audition, and tend to lean towards people from schools they know. So if you were in a full audition and there were more people there from a bigger school, or more people that had gone before, you would have less of a chance. So don't feel discouraged, even if you don't make it in, it doesn't necessarily reflect your dancing! I've heard it's a great program! Best of luck to you!
By PNB_Dave
On Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:10 PM
Edited by PNB_Dave (22998) on 2016-03-18 22:13:03
dance567and8 - I'm so sorry you were waitlisted! But we do take people from the waitlist, so don't give up hope!

SarahElizL - I'm sorry, but your friend's "inside information" is incorrect. We've NEVER taken a certain number of people per audition, nor have we ever favored people from schools we know.
By hummingbird
On Sat Mar 19, 2016 01:09 PM
PNB_Dave, it's good to hear that sort of negative rumour being dispelled right from the horses mouth. Thank you for coming on and posting this.
By PNB_Dave
On Sat Mar 19, 2016 02:15 PM
Edited by PNB_Dave (22998) on 2016-03-19 14:17:05
My pleasure. It's just human nature to come up with our own reasons or explanations when we, or friends of ours, don't receive the recognition we believe is deserved, such as being accepted to a certain ballet program. We all do it - I've done it myself when I was turned down by colleges, jobs, and graduate schools I'd applied for. The problem comes when we share those theories as if they were facts.

In addition to the "they have a quota" myth or the "they only accept people from certain studios" hypothesis, the other one that comes up constantly is the rumor that such-and-such summer intensive will never accept you again after you decline an invitation to attend. Even though there are literally thousands of students who HAVE been accepted again the year after they turned a program down, people still cling to this idea because, "Well, it happened to a friend of mine. They were accepted to XYZ last summer, and this year they were rejected, so it must be true." Even though there's no evidence to think the rejection was BECAUSE of last year's decision not to attend, people would still rather believe that than believe that their friend simply didn't meet the auditioners' criteria this year.

ReplySendWatch