Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Ballet West Selectivity
By Jupiter_Storm
On Fri Feb 12, 2016 02:54 PM
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2016-02-13 23:21:50 Member request

Hello,

Ballet parent, and first time poster, here.

My 14 yr old dd was admitted to the Ballet West SI with a scholarship.
I would love some feedback about Ballet West. It was high on her list, as she had heard the quality of training was terrific, and that certain of her physical attributes (height) would be a welcome addition.

I'm hoping to get some feedback as to the selectivity of Ballet West, currently.

Thanks!

4 Replies to Ballet West Selectivity

re: Ballet West Selectivity
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 13, 2016 06:39 PM
older dancer here,

Well, she got a scholarship right. In my book, that means that they saw something they liked. Think of it as they are paying her to be there. At 14,she still has some summer intensives ahead. Don't let this color her thinking. I would investigate the validity of the comment if it really bothers her. Who knows who said it and why? The best way to get accurate info is call Ballet West.
By S_H_A_O_
On Sat Feb 13, 2016 07:37 PM
Hi, I have never attended Ballet West's SI, but to receive a scholarship is definitely a big offer anywhere. Also, I know some amazing people who have been accepted without a scholarship, so to receive one is probably fairly hard. Not many people get them. In terms of selectivity, Ballet West definitely had a tendency to accept most people, but not many on scholarship. Hope this helps!
By Jupiter_Storm
On Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:42 AM
Thank you both for your thoughts and comments. I appreciate them.
By yancync
On Mon Feb 15, 2016 08:18 AM
Congrats to your DD, especially on the scholarship. I don't know of many girls who get $ there. DD is tall, went there 2 summers ago at age 14 and really liked it and learned a lot. Many dancers return for several years in a row because they have such a good time. They definitely don't accept everyone but it's definitely in the second tier for selectivity and in our large metro area considered a very strong backup program for girls auditioning for the big 5-6 (think SAB, PNB, SFB, ABT, Houston). They do have very strong dancers who attend and great pas for taller dancers because often there are a lot of boys attending.
By lbcat
On Wed Mar 09, 2016 09:48 AM
Congratulations! It's a huge achievement to get into Ballet West on scholarship! They are more selective now after a TV show, Breaking Pointe, aired about them and they got more popular. Nice Job!

ReplySendWatch